• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Octagon Priming Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished up this simple little octagon shaped priming horn. It used to be just a scrap of horn in my waste bucket, but I could see a neat little primer in it. It is about 6 inches long including the spout plug and is 1-5/8 inches in diameter on the butt end. Just the right size. The butt plug is lathe turned walnut, slightly domed, with concentric rings and the spout plug is ebony. I cut a groove around the horn for attaching to a bag strap.

prime1.jpg

prime3.jpg

:grin: Thanks Harddog; another picture for future refrence. :grin: You sure do a fine job on those horns
Soggy

Cool project. I have made a couple of priming horns but never thought of making an octagon. I like it.
Regards,
Pletch

Brasilikilt said:
Very nice!

Did you carve the flats, or steam and form them?

Brasilkit,

The flats were all filed on the horn and then scraped to make them even.

Randy Heden

Pletch said:
Cool project. I have made a couple of priming horns but never thought of making an octagon. I like it.
Regards,
Pletch

Pletch,

If you are going to try and make an octagon shaped primer, or even a full sized octagon horn, make sure you start with a horn that is fairly thick because you have to take quite a bit off the horn in making it octagon.

Randy hedden

Latest posts

Back