• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY goes bezerk with licenses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well look at what Connecticut did. They doubled everything. If you are a non resident you will have to shell out $234 to hunt muzzleloader in the Nutmeg State. That is one deer on state land or two on private land which requires written permission and can be hard to get.

bigbore442001 said:
Well look at what Connecticut did. They doubled everything. If you are a non resident you will have to shell out $234 to hunt muzzleloader in the Nutmeg State. That is one deer on state land or two on private land which requires written permission and can be hard to get.

:shake: Unreal, I found my 87' non-resident Conn bow tag a couple months ago and I think it it was either $24.00 or $27.00.

It's going to come to point where no one hunts out of state or at least buys a tag unless they need to and in the mean time, everyone will gripe about the over population and everything that comes with that like coyotes, lyme desease etc. :shake:

Wow, I just realized. Hunting licenses have increased alot in just about all states but still not even close to the yearly increases of health insurance premiums.

Not much consolation, really, but just perspective.

I keep getting it made abundantly clear to me that less really is more. Are there tons of bucks on my land? No. But all I need is one good one. One good one is enough for me just about every hunting season. And next year I just might buy the minimum in terms of hunting licenses and forget about this Sportsman's manure. I never have time to fish or go for small game, etc., anyway.

..gees..ya know it'll all be worth it if I see some!

last year sucked! the conservation dept,. does not have my full confidence... :(

Maybe it was the girlfriend's perfume still on your collar?? that got you winded by those big bucks last year!!! hahahahahaaa ...Just a-joshing.

I am seeing deer this year. Just not in the same places as the previous years.

I think this year will be a good one. Seeing the signs.

well, if you weren't seein deer over there that would be scary! I lived in dryden fer awhile...deer population over yer way is way better than here,,and I haven't talked to anyone that is seein alot of deer,,or many if any.. :( couple bad winter ice storms,,,all them doe permits and those damn crop damage permits have REALLY affected the population here...as fer the interior adirondacks..well...ain't prime deer habitat.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't seein a damn thing here yet. Buddy's of mine told me the acorn crop is beyond belief this year in the woods. One guy, a newbee took cell phone pic's of 15 Does and little ones all around oaks from the stand he was in. He was to busy taking pics and never touched the bow. :haha: He got slapped for that one.

I don't know about out back, I don't dare try to get on my CATV until after the P.I hunt to go out and check my stands for activity. I'm sure thats nothing I need to inform my Doc Oct 22 when I see him either. :wink:

Yes acorn crop is abundant this year around Seneca Lake. 'Never seen so many. I am observing alot of deer on my land. But I do know of many guys, and I won't call them hunters, who really abused that nuisance permit and doe permit offering. Downright poaching is what they did. Too bad. It really has deleteriously affected the deer population in parts of NYS. Why is it some people just have to OVER-CONSUME and OVER-KILL? I know of 2 guys who took over 25 deer themselves each year over the past few years and act like crazed gambling addicts when hunting seasons arrives. Kill Kill Kill is all they have on their minds.

2 guys not too awful far from here kilt 52 deer one year, caught arrested but judge said if he threw them in jail the state would have to feed his kids,,,next year they caught them with hides from 60...never heard what happen..don't understand.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

probably never will... :(

I have been practicing with both my bow and my 54 cal muzzle loader. I want to get my money's worth and be prepared to cleanly make kills. practice. practice practice.

I put up a two man stadium styled tree stand in a new location. It really is a good way to go. The larger, wrap around styled seat provides vastly greater degrees of shooting. Now I have 4 stands up, but I like this one the best.

I have the itch for sure this year for the season.

I have family in Virginia and if I want to hunt with my dad it will coast me $245. This breaks down as 86 non res license, 66 big game permit, 31 archery, 31 muzzleloader and 31 bonus deer.

Sounds high BUT for your money you will get:
1 bear
6 deer 3 antler/3 antlerless
3 turkey
and 6 more antlerless deer with bonus tag
and the kicker...at least right now, any elk in the mountains counts as a deer towards your totals!

I am also doing the sika hunt on Chincoteague NWR, $25. Includes up to 5 sika a day and a whitetail. This is a 2 day hunt.

So for all the action is a better deal then a resident license in my home state of Pensylvania.

Just checked my PA resident numbers....

20.70 resident license
16.70 archery
11.70 muzzleloader
16.70 bear
10.00 elk draw chance
21.70 additional spring turkey license
6.70 doe permit
10.70 DMAP permit (doe permit) for certain lands needing doe reduction
3.70 migratory bird permit

For $109.60 I will get:
1 buck
2 antlerless
3 turkey
duck/goose, still need federal duck stamp
1 bear
and a chance at the 40ish elk permits.

The non-res in VA looks like a better deal for the $$

Yeah, but walking out my front door and hunting deer etc is, well, "priceless".

I admit to being spoiled. And I will accept the $88 Sportsman's price tag for my home state of New York. I can even walk down to the trout stream from my door, too.

And there are plenty of Turkey. Now, if I could just find me a good source for some pheasant to let free on my land that would round things out! haha

Bow season opens in a few days....

Zoar said:
Yeah, but walking out my front door and hunting deer etc is, well, "priceless".

Amen to that. My bow stand is a two minute walk from my back door. It's just a little closer than my "new" 100 yard range (a trail cut through the trees and brush with a 5-gallon plastic pail "bench").

Last year I walked every morning during gun season way to the back of my property for a "choice" spot on a ridge and my neighbor whacked a huge 12-pointer about 30 feet from my target back-drop! About 200 yards from my house. Crum-bumb. :cursing: (Though he did have my permission to hunt there).

Lots of bunnies and a few grouse. I waited many, many years for this.

No trout yet, though the stream that crosses my property becomes one further along its course. Can't have everything.

Stumpkiller--It sounds terrific, too!

I am preparing for deer season. Plan to shoot again tonight (bow). Indeed I have waited a long time for this set-up too. I just wish I had done it years ago when I had my best eyes. Now I need various aids to see the sites well.

And while $88 bucks for a Sportsman's License is more than last year, I'll pay it and smile while I am hunting my land this year.

Recon said:
I have family in Virginia and if I want to hunt with my dad it will coast me $245. This breaks down as 86 non res license, 66 big game permit, 31 archery, 31 muzzleloader and 31 bonus deer.

Sounds high BUT for your money you will get:
1 bear
6 deer 3 antler/3 antlerless
3 turkey
and 6 more antlerless deer with bonus tag
and the kicker...at least right now, any elk in the mountains counts as a deer towards your totals!

I am also doing the sika hunt on Chincoteague NWR, $25. Includes up to 5 sika a day and a whitetail. This is a 2 day hunt.

So for all the action is a better deal then a resident license in my home state of Pensylvania.

That is an excellent deal but what is the success rate for a non resident hunter? Also, what are the chances of someome without any connections have heading down to the Dominion State for a nice hunt?

I do like the idea of taking an elk that crosses the state line.

My family lives in Orange Cty and lately they have had so many deer near them that it even made the news about how many deer there are. Figure it shouldn't be that hard this year.

Man thats some right expensive huntin' there!folks. Glad i live down here in ga.9$ big game. 10$ regular hunting. Need both to hunt deer, turkey,bear.fishing is 12$ i think.You can shoot 10 does and 2 bucks one which has to be 4 pionts or better on one side.Season runs from oct.17 to jan.1st.

Yea, but comparing apples to apples (sportsman's license to sportsman's license) Georgia is $55 bucks. NY is $88 bucks.

Although I noted that an Alligator license for nonresident is $200 BUCKS in Georgia!!! Can't get one of those for NY! An seems pricey to me. We do have some Timberland Rattle Snakes in the western area aka (southern tier of NY) here but that is about as close we come to your gators. :wink:

Back