• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runner

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The Hawkens vary it seems. Some have an exposed ramrod channel for a couple of inches with a fancy entry ferrule. Some have an end like the CVA/TC guns. Some have a flat end like my Mountain rifle has. The Dimmick guns I have seen pictures of seem to use the flat front full nose cap. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the Leman's. Which one is the best choice. My stock has the exposed ramrod channel of the Hawkens. but it has the wedge cheekpiece of the full stock rifles. I will most likely get a flintlock lock for it. That would seem to move it towards the Leman guns and away fronm the Hawkens. Flat front with integral entry pipe, rounded front with integral entry, rounded front with exposed ramrod channel, or wood end with entry pipe only? If I choose the full sized nose piece, I will have to cut the stock back maybe 4 inches. That will put it6 almost exactly the same length as a CVA Hawken or pretty much any of the single wedge repro's. If I use the full length with the exposed ramrod channel the last few inches, the barrel channel will be 18 inches long. With the exposed ramrod channel, you still have room for two wedges or to pin it twice. Thanks in advance for any help given!

Back