• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nose cap question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on what you call "early Virginia".

I have pics of a 1785 Adam Haymaker rifle that has no nose cap - the wood in the forestock comes right up to the end of the barrel - and while it's shaped (like a nosecap would be) there is no cap there (or any evidence that there ever was).

But I have pics of an earlier (1780) Henry Mauck rifle that "does" have a nose cap (clearly brass).

So Haymaker made at least "one" with no cap. I have a fair collection of pics of 1780-1800'ish rifles but that one by Haymaker is the only one with no cap. And as the years moved forward the length of the cap increased somewhat - at least in the rifles I have pictures of.

If your idea of early Virginia is post-1790, then all I can say is - every rifle I have seen from post 1790 "had/has" a nose cap.

Well, I'll share this.
I was really considering no nose cap on my cherry Gillespie plain rifle. A crack/split that happened in that thin area and for no apparent reason convinced me otherwise. You need something there unless you are rounding it off.

First you must understand that what are sold as iron mounted "Early Virginia" are pretty much fantasy guns that seem to have been invented in the mid 20th century, not the 18th. Having said that they are very popular and do have that "old timey" look that many like.

Most old rifles carry a nose cap to reinforce a very vulnerable area of the stock. Old rifles have a stock that is almost paper thin (well, maybe several thicknesses of paper) and the RR groove with piercings for the underlugs and pipes. All of this adds up to an area that is parallel to the grain and prone to splitting. The nose cap is fit to prevent this as well as covering an area of end grain that is exposed to all kinds of stuff while the rifle is loaded, fired and cleaned. Incidentally, the nose cap is made to fit the stock. If you buy one of the pre made caps you will have to shape the stock to fit the cap. This might work out, but most probably not. Shaping a fore end to fit most of the caps available today will result in an overly thick stock which is not what the old rifles had. Make your own cap to fit the stock and you will have a better end result.

thanks Pete, that is good info. yes the TVM kit i have has a nose cap and i think it looks cheap to me. i am thinking of making my own somehow..

Jack Brooks sells a tool to make your own nose cap, works by clamping down in a bench vise.

I carved a forming tool out a piece of hickory. Make it the size and shape of the forward end of your stock. Once you anneal your brass it is very soft and forms easily. Use some card stock to template your stock and make the pattern for your cap. I build one piece caps by gently bending the brass to shape and then clamp to my forming tool with a pair of hose clamps. This allows you to start hammering the end over. This will work harden your brass so go gently and stop to anneal often. Once you get the end formed you can start your cleanup with files and sandpaper. You may have to make more than one, but brass is relatively cheap and plentiful. There are dozens and dozens of nose caps in one brass kickplate for a door. Just make certain that you buy the plate that is solid brass and not the plated aluminum one.

Back