• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Star West Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering a NSW kit for either the Early English or Cheifs Trade Gun. I was wondering if anyone who has built one of these could advise whether or not these would be a good choice for a first time build using only hand tools.

I understand the quality of NSW products is outstanding, I just don't want to turn an $800.00 kit into an $80.00 gun because I should have tried something easier the first time out.

Thanks in advance

The NSW Early English was the very first gun I built. I used all hand tools, with the exception of a drill, and most of the work was done with a 1/4" chisel, a small hand-made gouge, files and sandpaper using basic wood/metal working skills. I turned out well, and I still own and shoot it today.

I would suggest going slow, and ask Matt plenty of questions if you get stuck. He will walk you through any issue you might have....

And the NSW kits come written instructions that include very helpful drawings, which many other kits do not have.

My first two builds were NSW guns, the trade gun was first and I liked it so much I built the English trade gun next. My only problem is deciding which one to shoot. I used all hand tools and I am not a very skilled person. I needed another site and I called Curly and received them right away. I would recommend NSW products to new builders.

I built Track's Trade Gun and later NSW's Chief's model in 28 gauge. The latter is more difficult in regard to inletting the buttplate, trigger guard, and sideplate, but if you take your time it's well worth the effort. NSW uses a Long Hammock barrel which they do further work on in regard to the flats and wedding bands and it's an excellent shooter. I've used it in competition three times and can't believe the groups it shoots.

Back