• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Entry Thimble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erzulis boat

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Question-

What are the correct ways to shape the wood when not using an entry thimble?

English Snaphaunce (TRS) is the arm in question.

I cannot really tell how the entry hole for the ramrod is done from the images I have.

Were they done typically with a curved transition, or perhaps more of a 90 degree wall at the entry location.

I suppose that the proper (PC) way did not change from the very old arms to the 1700's, so perhaps initial guidance from a correct excecution of a more "modern" rifle would at least get the ball rolling.

I guess the 1500-1600 rifle builds are a bit out of the mainstream, but perhaps we can work backwards and detrmine a plausible way to shape this ramrod entry to stock section.

If need be, I can post some images of the initial drilled entry, and go from there.

Roy? Bookie? Any suggestions? :confused:

Here's one (English flintlock, c.1650)
Woodrrentrance.jpg

Here is a side view of the original Dutch carbine that I based my recreation on. Without a frontal view to go by, I elected to slope the entry area as per the side view and left the front plain, similar to an East Tennessee mountain rifle without an entry thimble. Cheers, Bookie
EntryArea.jpg

Excellent- Thanks, guys.

It sure will be nice to not have to inlet an entry thimble on something for a change, and be historically correct!

:hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back