• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Nice Shot"???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhughh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Received a catalog a few days ago from Precision Reloading. On the back they list (I'm thinking "introduce") a product called "Nice shot" which is a non-toxic alternative to steel, bismuth, etc. On a "shot hardness" bar graph, it places Nice Shot between lead and steel, but closer to lead. (Does not list the specific hardness)

Anyone have any experience with this? Is "anything harder than lead" TOO hard to use in a BP barrel?

Just curious,
Hugh

IF you can find the shotgun shells, you have to buy them as a source of this shot. They are VERY expensive. The NICE shot is not yet available for sale as a component, but it will be very expensive when it IS available. Check Ballistics Products. com from time to time. They seem to be about the first to have any of the non-toxic shot when the products become available as components for reloaders.

If you are only shooting Canada Geese, Bag limits are so small that you can perhaps justify scavenging some of these expensive shotgun shells to get the shot to put in your MLer.

If you are hunting ducks, or other waterfowl that have larger bag limits, its gets very expensive to use this, and other expensive shot. Only you can decide if shooting waterfowl with this stuff is worth the cost and time. Then, you have to find a source of the shells.

Develop your load using comparable lead shot. Then substitute the Nice shot for lead for a couple of shots to determine POI and pattern. Hopefully, there will not be any change in either the POI(center of pattern with the new shot) or in the pattern density.

HINT: a lot of shooters who are buying commercial shells are buying the largest 10 gauge shells they can find, as they hold the largest amount of shot per shell. If you have a 10 gauge shotgun, or know someone who does, perhaps you can recover some of the cost using the hulls to reload with lead shot, or sell to that friend to use.

In any Black Powder shotgun barrel, I would be protecting the barrel by using a thick plastic shotcup made for Steel Shot loads. Unless the barrel is marked for " steel shot use", I would not gamble that the steel used is going to resist scoring ( deep scratches) from using this shot, even if its atomic weight is close to that of lead.

Does that Catalog say they have NICE SHOT available in bulk as a component? If so, that would be the first source I have heard about, since I began looking last Spring( a year ago).

Bulk Nice Shot is available HERE . I tried some two years ago and it patterned very well. It is soft enough to use in a muzzleloader; it was designed to be used in shotguns which are not steel-shot safe. The only downside is cost. For your $60 you get a one kilo package that is about the size of a pack of playing cards. (About 28 1 1/4-ounce loads or 34 1-ounce loads.)

hhughh said:
Anyone have any experience with this?
Yes, EcoTunsten (Niceshot) works as advertised.
I've tested #6 shot in a bare bore out of my .62cal Flint smoothbore barrel on turkey head targets just to have a real comparison to past targets, and it actually patterned noticeably better than lawrence brand hard magnum #6s I normally use for my turkey load.

While expensive, if its only used for waterfowl as intended, the per shot cost is still less than the cost of a typical modern waterfowl shotshell today.

And the better news is that it peforms identical to lead, so all your load development can be done with corresponding sized lead shot, then just run a couple test shots with EcoTungsten for an absolute assurance its patterning the same or better.

Had same results as Roundball........patterns well...I use Heavyshot verus Niceshot because it patterned tighter plus had more weight and slightly cheaper... Heavyshot was 159.00 for 7 lbs from Ballistic products. Nice shot was also softer than Heavyshot. took a set of pliers and compresed the niceshot pellets did not see much difference between that and lead. I use a plastic shotcup to protect my barrel and tighten my pattern.
Both companys are very proud of their product price wise either one will work...Happy shooting!

The inventor has a reloading blog at: http://ecotungsten-niceshot.blogspot.com/2007/11/reinventing-lead.html
It's primarily oriented towards shotshell reloading, but some of us have posted ML inquiries, and some of the other info is still applicable to our use - how which shot sizes worked on what game, for example.

I have a buddy who picked up some #4s to try, but I haven't heard if he's patterned them yet. I'm still working through my last bottle of Bismuth #4s, and trying to work up some duck loads with steel, for economy. If it works, I'll use the steel for ducks-only hunting and save the better but more expensive stuff for for geese or mixed hunts.

Joel

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason I had experimented with #6s was I thought I was going to have an opportunity to try some geese on a local farm. Problem was due to the location of the pond relative to the trees, the farmer's house, and a house across the road, wing shots were risky so I thought I'd try to head-shoot some after they landed around the pond area like I was turkey hunting with #6s.
Unfortunately deer season dragged out longer than I expected and I never got to try the geese...maybe this coming season

I had seen prior ads about this new non-toxic shot- just what we need, another kind of shot to add to our confusion---- but still have not seen any details as to how it compares to lead. All this ad says is that its softer than OTHER tungsten based shot pellets, and its hardness is below the bottom line of 27 on the Brinell Hardness scale.

At least the price for ITX shot is a bit lower than what is being charged for Hevi-shot, and for some of the others, including Nice shot. Its nice to see competition, but I would rather wait for a couple of years to see who survives the battle and what the final retail cost will be for their product. Bismuth shot is all but gone. As much as we have heard multiple rumors since the owners death about the business coming back, where is it?

Bismuth shot had lots of problem with being brittle. Something has to be better. Perhaps if the owner had survived, he would have found a substance he could combine with bismuth to make it more durable and shock resistant. We may never know.

I heard a lot about Tungsten Polymer, but where is it, now?

All we seem to hear about now is Hevi-shot, and now Nice Shot, and this new ITX shot. I join the legions of waterfowl hunters who is very disappointed by the performance of Steel Shot. It kills when the birds are within 25 yards, but then, so would rocks fired from a sling shot perform that well!

I am glad to see Ballistics Products, Inc. making deals to be the distributor for the new shot. Perhaps it can help sort out the confusion of information about these new shot brands. I don't know anyone who wants to chance ruining a barrel on an older shotgun, or any muzzleloading shotgun.

paulvallandigham said:
I had seen prior ads about this new non-toxic shot- just what we need, another kind of shot to add to our confusion---- but still have not seen any details as to how it compares to lead. All this ad says is that its softer than OTHER tungsten based shot pellets, and its hardness is below the bottom line of 27 on the Brinell Hardness scale.
With respect, Paul, the confusion seems to manifest already. The "27" that is cited concerning ITX is not on the Brinnell scale, it is on the Rockwell C, and it is not the bottom of either, rather it is an arbitrary point softer than most of the tungsten-based alloys but harder than steel shot.

paulvallandigham said:
Bismuth shot is all but gone. As much as we have heard multiple rumors since the owners death about the business coming back, where is it?

Bismuth shot had lots of problem with being brittle. Something has to be better. Perhaps if the owner had survived, he would have found a substance he could combine with bismuth to make it more durable and shock resistant. We may never know.
There is at least one current producer of bismuth shot, but it is currently only available in loaded cartridges from Pinnacle/Bis-Maxx, not in bulk. The brittleness was notably reduced when the alloy was changed from 3% to 5% tin, at some decrease in density.

paulvallandigham said:
I heard a lot about Tungsten Polymer, but where is it, now?
Federal stopped loading it, but in the "Tungsten Matrix" or "ITM" incarnation, it is still in production but only available in cartridges from Kent Gamebore in North America; it is available in bulk in the U.K. however - e.g. http://www.claygame.co.uk/Cat21Page12Shot.pdf .

Joel

Joel: Thanks for the information, and clarification, I think. You are saying that we now have to deal with both an ITX, AND an ITM Non-toxic Shot????? And know the difference?

As to anyone offering their shot only in loaded cartridges and NOT as a component, I consider them nothing more than Used Car Salesmen, who want you to buy this car " 'cause she's a beaut!, ain't she?" without letting you look under the hood. There used to be integrity in the Gun Industry, but we seem to be letting the crooks and snake oil salesmen get into it. I REFUSE TO BUY THOSE PRODUCTS!

Personally, I am seeing thousands of Canada Geese living year round here in Illinois, and every suburban subdivision with a " Lake" or catch basin is overloaded with Geese, and its getting worse.

It always begins with the Yuppies buying " Lakefront" property in droves, because " Aren't those birds Pretty?"

Then(The best part) come all the complaints by these URBAN non-hunters about the amount of goose "poop" and the stench driving them away from their backyard BBQs. They can't let their children play near the water, because the geese attack the kids, and even them. They can't mow the lawns for all the feathers and smelly goose Poop they have to step on, or clean up first, and they certainly didn't expect to have to clean up after the geese!--- well, you get the idea.

I like the idea that when you restrict hunting, you end up having a serious pest- and potential health problems-- that affect the very people who oppose hunting, and won't permit it. It assures me that there is a NATURAL Order to life.

We had a few turkeys, for instance, that decided to live in a neighborhood of yuppies here in Urbana, Il., last year. They attacked joggers and bikers( or as we auto drivers like to call them, 50 pointers, and 100 pointers!)

The Yuppies demanded that the Mayor and the City Council DO SOMETHING about them! The animal control department eventually netted the birds but not before a few more joggers were chased, and one was pecked( HEADLINES in YUPPIEDUM!) And, there have long be complaints here about coyote grabbing "Fifi" in her back yard. I can't wait until we have cougars in abundance again here in Illinois, taking out joggers as they have done in California already! It might at least get them off country roads in the early dawn, and back in their cities.

Once these animals get on that " Protected or Endangered Species" list( Thank you, yuppies), its next to impossible to get an animal off.

So, bring them on. When the Yuppies can't go outside because they don't feel safe to mow their own lawns, or jog, or bicycle, or walk at night, and the police FINALLY are forced to tell them that they just can't protect them, maybe all this nonsense will begin to turn around. If Not, Cougars, and bears, and wolves may just find a new source for meals, and the crows, vultures, hawks, and other scavengers of all kinds will pick at the bones.

Aren't those birds pretty?? Oh, LOOK! There's a pretty kitty cat- my, isn't that a BIG one!

I apologize for my diatribe, but all this NON-toxic shot nonsense began with a LIE, when someone got ahold of Glen Sanderson's draft of his research for his Graduate Degree here at the Univ. of Illinois. They used raw data that proved later to be wrongly calculated, but by then, the Anti-freedom, anti-hunting Congressman had seized on the idea that Lead is killing more waterfowl through ingestion than by INSERTION, so they banned lead shot.

Glen Fought for years to get the correct information out- there is NO empirical evidence that ingesting lead shot causes increases in mortality, based on his findings. But, by then, science had become " Politics", and truth no longer matters in Politics.

Does it?

We have an entire Federal Department devoted to currupting science for political purposes- the EPA.

Back