• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Non-toxic shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booneliane

40 Cal
Reaction score
Are modern muzzleloader barrels (Green Mountain, Colerain, Rice, etc) safe to use with non-toxic shot? Steel? Bismuth? Tungsten?

May see a smoothbore in my future.

Bismuth, sucks it costs so much but way cheaper than replacing a barrel. Besides how many shots you taking anyway?

Want to use steel and others you will need a modern SXS from Pedersoli that is chrome lined and then you will need the proper steel plastic wads.

Pays your money takes your choice.

Bismuth is the way to go. Steel (actually a soft iron) is a no no unless you use a modern shot cup and/or a mylar wrap. Tungsten can be OK if you find a soft alloy but most is harder than steel shot.

Bismuth, sucks it costs so much but way cheaper than replacing a barrel. Besides how many shots you taking anyway?

Want to use steel and others you will need a modern SXS from Pedersoli that is chrome lined and then you will need the proper steel plastic wads.

Pays your money takes your choice.
Pederrsoli chromed barrels are not to facilitate the use of steel shot. It is just for protection from corrosion.
Why folk form the link that chrome plating a barrel facilitates the use of steel shot is beyond me! The plating is thinner than paper.

My own few test shots with steel shot and a card wrap produced no damage to a barrel and one duck.

Pederrsoli chromed barrels are not to facilitate the use of steel shot. It is just for protection from corrosion.
Why folk form the link that chrome plating a barrel facilitates the use of steel shot is beyond me! The plating is thinner than paper.

My own few test shots with steel shot and a card wrap produced no damage to a barrel and one duck.

Exactly!

Back