• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Next seasons trophy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going to call this post next year’s trophy then I realized that it’s already next year. I realized yesterday I am ruined for life when it comes to deer hunting with anything but muzzleloaders. While at work I spotted a very large whitetail buck. (I still have one tag left too). I'm certain he's the same one who outsmarted me opening day this year. I turned around and drove off, grabbed my rifle got downwind of him and walked a big circle around a couple large brush piles where I thought he might be back in one of the outland areas. Sure enough there he was about 150 or 60 yards broadside looking back to where the truck should be”¦”¦or more likely the little doe he left behind. He was gorgeous; 10 points, high, wide and heavy. Almost perfectly even except for 1 extra little kicker on his G3 tine. I watched him for 4 or 5 minutes through the binoculars and the scope and he had no idea I was there. Yeah through a scope, I had left old Mabel at the house and all I had with me was my 30-06 that I carry for feral hogs (they have long since learned to stay out of muzzleloader range). He was a wall hanger for sure and as tempted as I was it just didn’t seem fair to take him with the ”“06 especially after all the braggin I’ve been doing about deer hunting with muzzleloaders only. I thought about leavin the rifle behind and seeing just how close I could sneak up on him but since I was supposed to be working I closed the bolt on an empty chamber, stuck the crosshairs behind his shoulder and squeezed it off. The click didn't scare him to death, he didn’t even hear it so I just snuck back off the brush pile and let him think he’d outsmarted me again. Maybe next year I’ll get him with my new flintlock.

I hope all y'all have a very Happy New Year

That says alot about your level of hunting. Setting goals for yourself and sticking to it! I sure hope you get that buck next year and with a flintlock as well! Happy New year :thumbsup:

Great going Mountainman.
There's just a special feeling about hunting with a muzzleloader instead of a centerfire. Centerfires are just too easy.
I once got frustrated with my muzzleloader and was ready to use the old .30-06 but someone with a cool head urged me to press on with the muzzleloader. As a lot of folks know, my hunt was successful thanks to him. :wink:

HD

....and when you tag him next year with the flinter, he'll prob be even bigger!!!

Good luck!!
Wess

If he was a wall hanger this year, he could be the deer of a lifetime next year, especially with a flintlock. Nice call to let him go. :thumbsup:

Back