• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newcomer to forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a note to introduce myself. Been shootin' muzzleloaders for 30+ yrs and shootin' at Friendship for quite a few (primitive). I live in SE Indiana, hence the handle, and hunt strictly with flintlocks.

Welcome friend...
I have beed to Friendship once, I like the rolling hills of southern Indiana...

My favorite flintlock to use is a brown bess, what kind do you use?

I've got several. A 58.cal Jackie Brown smoothbore, a 32 cal with a Bill Large barrel, A 54 cal full stock custom built Hawken, a 54 cal swamped barrel smoothbore I'm building right now and a 50 cal swamped barrel rifle I'm also building. All the locks are Siler's with two Chambers' round face Virginias for the ones I'm building. The Hawken has a Douglas barrel, the Jackie Brown an otr Green Mtn and the two I'm workin' on are Colerains'. Killed game with all of 'em exceptin' the ones that ain't done yet, but expect to make meat with those in 2004.

Where do you find the time to play with them all?

Does the Jackie Brown smoothbore get jealous when you take the Hawkens out?
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

They just sit in the corner or hang on the wall until I come around and pick them up. Then I mash all the spiders and such that have nested in the barrels when I load 'em. The only one that's neglected is the 32. I ain't squirrel hunted in a couple a years, but I'm buyin' some property that's got a few hickorys on it, so's I'll bust a few this summer.

Walcome ta the fireside! (I almost said farside but I'm a thinin that name has been taken).
Glad to hav ye here. Ma wifes family come from tha north part o that state so's Ahm a thinnin I can speak the language purty good! I myself wer born in Iowee 'n that aint too far away. Course I ain't been back thar sense I left in 1950 but a'l thin o us as neighburs.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
I myself wer born in Iowee 'n that aint too far away. Course I ain't been back thar sense I left in 1950.I think ZONIE mis-spoke himself...
He means to say he was drivin out of Iowee my an angry mob using pitch forks and torches...

As fun as that sounds, I guess I'm a jokin...
Far be it from me to take a cheap shot at my pal ZONIE...
rolleyes.gif

And it was 1850, not 1950...
grin.gif

quote:MouskeetMan says:He means to say he was drivin out of Iowee my an angry mob using pitch forks and torches... LIES...LIES....LIES !!!!! Shame on ye fur tellin these nice people am lies 'bout me.

Thar warn't a pitchfork within half a mile o me. Now ther wer two guys a carrin mauls, three with double bit axes an one crazy guy with an adz a swingin it aroun like a toothpick a shoutin "you hold him down n' I'll giv him a shave he won't soon forget!!!
But I kneu they war just a funnin.

His daughter were a mity cute lil thin tho.
grin.gif

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
LIES...LIES....LIES !!!!! Shame on ye fur tellin these nice people am lies 'bout me.I didn't lie... I EXAGGERATED!

Hey Flintshooter,
Your're down there in the brown Indiana chert nodule country. Do you ever try that stuff in your flinters?

Never tried no chert. I'm in the southeastern part o' the state, not too fer from Friendship. 'Bout 30 miles and 'bout to move a little closer. Movin' outside a little burg called Dillsboro.

quote:Originally posted by Flintshooter in Indiana:
Never tried no chert. Agate also works, so does Pyrite (fools gold)...

If you can't find and Flint, Agate, Pyrite of Chert to use, break up a knife sharping stone...

As long as it's not Diamond coated, it'll work and spark... (good to know if you are in a bind)

I have even used broken flint arrow heads before...

Never tried those little red Zippo Lighter flints yet...
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

I'm thinking that there is really no such thng as "flint", chert is the real name but we laymen call "chert" flint. I do a bit of knapping and have set around some of the old codgers who have spent a lifetime at this stuff. It's a hoot to hear them argue over the various colors and kinds of knapable material out there.

Back