• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newby with a black powder 12ga double barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieMack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently purchased, by accident, a 12ga double barrel black powder shotgun. I know absolutely nothing about them and am just looking for a little guidance before I try to shoot it.

I hear that steel shot is not it's friend and to stay away from it. I also am having trouble location black powder and caps in north Texas.

Thanks for any advice.

DonnieMack

May I ask how you managed to buy a muzzleloading 12 gauge "on accident"? Most of us do it on purpose.
Use the search function, type in 12 gauge and spend an evening learning.
Get into the Smoothbore forum too: Smoothbore
Welcome to the forum and cleaning up with soap and water.

wm

Well, I went to an estate auction and walked past the gun tables browsing at the guns. Say a few I was interested in and sat down, and didn't pick any up.

When this one came up on the big screen the description didn't note muzzle loader or black powder. I wound up successful bidder.

Picked it up after payout and on th way to my vehicle realized what I bought.

I know nothing about them but am interested in learning.

DonnieMack

Attachments

• 20211009_152906.jpg
    20211009_152906.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 84
Tell us about it. Include pictures of any markings including ones under the forestock.
I notice the rammer is missing from under the barrel. Do you have it?

wm

Only a modern reproduction will shoot steel shot and only those that state it's safe to do so.
I have a Pedersoli that is safe to shoot steel shot in and I bought just for waterfowl hunting.
Older ones just can't handle steel.

Only a modern reproduction will shoot steel shot and only those that state it's safe to do so.
I have a Pedersoli that is safe to shoot steel shot in and I bought just for waterfowl hunting.
Older ones just can't handle steel.
I haven't seen where a Pedersoli shotgun is steel safe. Their website says the chrome bores are for corrosion resistance.

wm

Bismuth, though much more expensive than steel shot performs better than steel so I’ve heard. You will need a ramrod for your shotgun. A strong handled range rod was suggested to me when I got my 12ga. side by side and I didn’t listen. My pinky healed up nicely after the broken rod stabbed me, but is flaring up now due to the sliver of wood I left in there. Look for Shuetzen distributors for blackpowder and visit them in person to purchase a few pounds. RWS 1075s can be found online. Most places that have them available require a bulk purchase.

Nice shotgun !! You want to get a ramrod with the shotgun wad type tip. It flares wider to fill the room in the barrel when you are pushing a wad down. 70 grains of BP or pyrodex RS or any 2 F equivelent and an ounce of shot makes a great squirrel or bunny load. That is also a good trap load. For pheasants, I shoot 85 grains of powder and 1 1/4 ounces of #5's. You should check to see what the chokes are in the end of the barrel. My shotgun is cylinder/cylinder bores. I don't have screw out/in chokes in my gun. The bores in your shotgun could be the same or one barrel could be modified. They are fun to shoot and makes an excellent hunting gun.
Ohio Rusty

Tell us about it. Include pictures of any markings including ones under the forestock.
I notice the rammer is missing from under the barrel. Do you have it?

wm
Yes I have the ram rod, just didn't have it in place when I took the pic.

Attachments

• 20211009_152625.jpg
    20211009_152625.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 57
Bismuth, though much more expensive than steel shot performs better than steel so I’ve heard. You will need a ramrod for your shotgun. A strong handled range rod was suggested to me when I got my 12ga. side by side and I didn’t listen. My pinky healed up nicely after the broken rod stabbed me, but is flaring up now due to the sliver of wood I left in there. Look for Shuetzen distributors for blackpowder and visit them in person to purchase a few pounds. RWS 1075s can be found online. Most places that have them available require a bulk purchase.
I do have the ram rod just wasn't on it when I took the pic.

Nice shotgun !! You want to get a ramrod with the shotgun wad type tip. It flares wider to fill the room in the barrel when you are pushing a wad down. 70 grains of BP or pyrodex RS or any 2 F equivelent and an ounce of shot makes a great squirrel or bunny load. That is also a good trap load. For pheasants, I shoot 85 grains of powder and 1 1/4 ounces of #5's. You should check to see what the chokes are in the end of the barrel. My shotgun is cylinder/cylinder bores. I don't have screw out/in chokes in my gun. The bores in your shotgun could be the same or one barrel could be modified. They are fun to shoot and makes an excellent hunting gun.
Ohio Rusty

No screw chokes. Both barrels caliper at .715".

I've been on the net in so many places I can't remember, but thought I saw somewhere that Pyrodex is not recommended for it?

Back