• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to black powder shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from the UK.

My personal recommendation for starting out in the dark arts would be a percussion gun. Flintlocks will be a much steeper learning curve, maybe steep enough to put you off for and we don't want that!

Welcome from Valdosta Georgia. I'd recommend you visit one of your local NMLRA Clubs and talk to the members. I started muzzle loading in the later part of high school and got advice from the older members of my local club. Bill

Howdy, Aggie! A&M class of ‘72. I started with a Thompson Center “Hawkin” flintlock kit about 45 years ago, and it still shoots better than me! You don’t need an expensive custom rifle to get started down the black powder path.

Get ready for an amazing ride. Just when you think you’ve found the last rabbit hole, you’ll stumble across another dozen of them. This forum has a wealth of knowledge, and will allow you to access some of the finest contemporary builders and historians anywhere.

Howdy. I actually shoot about 45 minutes outside College Station. If you want to try a few different guns out just to get a feel for them you are welcome to join when I am out there. That is, as long as you don't mind the Burnt Orange I would have on.

Welcome from the Oregon Territory! Many years of knowledge and experience are among our Ranks.

I’m not sure what’s available around you. You may be forced to order Online.

I started down this path over 30 years ago. I bought my first rifle used for $150. I then had to go to the Muzzleloader Shop and spend another $50 to $75 to shoot it!

Things you’ll need:

Round Balls

Shooting Patches

Cleaning Patches

Short Starter

Powder

Caps or Flints, as others have mentioned, there’s a shortage of caps.

Capper or Flint Wallet.

Lube (liquid or solid). Some liquid lubes are also cleaners.

Powder Horn or Flask to keep your powder in.

Accouterments: Cleaning Jag, Ball Puller, Breech Scraper, Bore Cleaning Brush

Many of us use a longer Cleaning, Loading, Bench, or Range Rod. Leave the one under your barrel for "looks" and hunting.

I would highly recommend joining a local Muzzleloader Club if you have one around. There’s also the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association which has Carter Clubs in your state. Many here are members. The full-color monthly magazine is chock full of info and entertainment!

The NMLRA Charter Club Program — The NMLRA

Good Luck and heed my warning! 😁

Walt

Howdy all, I am a college student at Texas A&M looking to get into muzzleloading and black powder shooting. I’ve got some solid experience with shooting sports and looking to take the next step into some historical firearms.

Any advice or tips on getting in to muzzleloading and historical firearms is welcome!
Welcome fellow Texan. My advice is to decide what you want to do be it hunting, target shooting, reenacting etc. and then jump in feet first ad start swimming. I just like to make big billows of white smoke. It fills my soul!

Back