Newbie in Maryland

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Camp' started by Jerry Simon, May 5, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 5, 2019 #1

Jerry Simon

Jerry Simon

Jerry Simon

32 Cal

I just bought my first BP revolver, Uberti 1851 Navy. I have not had an opportunity to shoot it yet. One reason is I guess I still have some questions and would like some advise. I have been reading and watching Youtube videos but IMHO a real person with experience is the best way to learn. If any one near Montgomery County, MD is willing to help me get started I would definitely appreciate it.

2. May 7, 2019 #2

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

Hello and welcome from Rhode Island! Great group of people here with a wealth of knowledge. Ask questions and enjoy.

3. May 10, 2019 #3

Renegade Dan

Renegade Dan

Renegade Dan

50 Cal.

Welcome Jerry! Glad to have you join us. :thumb:

4. May 16, 2019 #4

Spur8

Spur8

Spur8

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Hello Jerry,
    I am in Harford County, so I can't help much directly, one tip I got on BP Revolvers was to have the cylinders measured to make sure they are the same and match the bore size. It would not hurt to have the bore itself checked for consistent runout. Timing as to cylinder alignment with the bore, and tightness at lockup before firing, also contribute to accuracy. Once the bore sized is established accurately you can match up your ball diameter. Keep a check on all the screws, they tend to loosen with recoil.
    I apologize if I am repeating stuff you already know. One last comment. IMHO a good gunsmith has to also be a good machinist. Beware the self taught smith who doesn't have anything machining experience and doesn't have a wall full of measuring instruments.

shane a gress likes this.
  5. May 16, 2019 #5

Shot deer

Shot deer

Shot deer

40 Cal MLF Supporter

Welcome from northern Ohio!