• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie from Oregon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Gowins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm primarily a bowhunter who uses recurves and home made longbows, but my bow arm elbow is starting to hint that it doesn't want to do that much longer. So, if I have to give up the bow I want to stay with primitive equipment to hunt with. Muzzleloaders are the obvious choice. I guess I'm also becoming interested because my wife has started doing some living history/reenacting as Sacagawea and I may want to join her in the reenacting stuff. If for no other reason than to keep the Charbonneaus at bay. :) What caliber is best for that?

See? The questions are already starting.

So I'm a newbie and know next to nothing about muzzleloading. Did a search for "Muzzleloading for Dummies" and found this site. Don't know if you all should feel insulted or not. :) Which end does the powder go in? :rolleyes:

I'm also an outdoor photographer/writer and enjoy flyfishing. I guess my user name isn't very imaginative, but some weasel is already using my usual user name from the archery boards. which is Weasel. :hmm: :D

Anyway, looking forward to learning and enjoying this site.

Jerry

http://www.jgowins.photopoints.com

Welcome Jerry, you'll recognize a few names from Tradgang here. This is a great place to learn with great folks to help.

Howdy, JG -
Glad to have you aboard. You'll find lots of good info here, and also see how passionate some guys can be about their particular weapons, powders, projectiles - even the thickness of their patch, for cryin' out loud!
You can always change your user name iff'n you think of one you like better.
Again, welcome :thumbsup:
IM jaybe

Glad you found us...welcome! Concerning the name, you could always use Or.weasel; which would be better than[url] weasel.org[/url]-people would think that was an email address!!!!! :crackup: Someday, you'll have to post how your wife got into portraying Sacagawea. Join in...ask questions....give advice...but be active.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Gowins : Welcome To The Camp ! !

Glad to see another Oregonian here at the Forum.

I'm located up north of you in Oregon City.

When I got my 1st Black Powder rifle, I wanted to be
able to go Deer, Black bear, and Elk hunting.
So I went for the 54cal percussion,Hawken style, Thompson/Center (USA Made) rifle.
I can shoot a patched round ball(230 grains),
or a maxi-ball (275grains to 435 grains)
And it shoots really good too. Here at the forum
you'll be able to find out what others shoot too.
Good luck in your journey. There's alot of folks
here to help you. So kick back and enjoy yourself.
Take Care, Steve :) (Mtn-Man2u)

Welcome!! Gots the same problem yor got, Oldageitis :( Got some bows hanging on the that just stiffined up on me. you'll love traditional black powder. Carryin a 42" bbl flintlock thru the bush ain't much different than carryin a 8' flyrod thru the same :curse: :thumbsup:Muzzleloading for Dummies!!?. Don't tell me, we were the first ones listed when you hit the search button? :p Just like fly fishing, come on in & get your feet wet you'll love it,the waters here are pristine :thumbsup:

Jerry,
welcome to the forum glad to have you on board.
lots of friendly folks and a lot of information to
get you started in B/P shooting. certainly hope you will take advantage of all that is available here. join in
whenever you can.
again welcome stay active
I am snake-eyes :thumbsup: :) :peace: :)

"Oldageitis" :crackup: I like that! The term, not the fact that I have it. :)

Thanks to all of you for the welcome. I don't even own a muzzleloader yet, so the progress will be slow, but I'll be checking in to see what's happening and learn.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Jerry, glad to see you here. Your photos are great! :thumbsup:
I play with photography and have a couple of Nikons
"non-digital" myself. I just shoot for the fun of it, that is photography and blackpowder. If they only could make a flintlock that snaps a photo I would be in hog heaven. Of cousre my family pictures would take on a "whole" new meaning. :thumbsup:

Back