• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykeal

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Took delivery of a brand NIB Uberti Walker this past weekend. I ordered it from S&S firearms; $292 +$14.25 sh&i drop shipped to my FFL, + $20 FFL transfer fee (MI law).

It is a beautiful gun:
1682.jpg

1692.jpg

R0011709.jpg

R0011694.jpg

Fit and finish are excellent on all the exterior parts. The action is rough; right out of the box the cylinder had a tendency to stop just short of being in battery at full cock - it took a little nudge to get it to finish lining up. Howver, that problem went away after just a few cycles. The action is now noticeably smoother after about 50 cycles, but I'm going to need to disassemble it and polish it with stones before I shoot it.

Very pleased with it so far, although I have not shot it yet. We'll let you know how it shoots.

Try shooting it about 6" low with 50 gr of 3Fg Goex...that's the load that I shot a 95 x 100 with my Walker. After a few boxes of balls it'll settle in and be as smooth as a baby's behind! Uberti uses a real heavy type grease that comes off with regular gun cleaners like shooter's choice. Then use a light oil, especially on the cylinder to frame fit. I use Masters that I bought in the Dillon catalog for my .45 ACP's...works great and the cylinder loves to turn!

Good luck with that smoke maker & welcome to the world of .44 Mag Black Powder!

Dave

Beautiful...beautyFULL...WOW....

I might be missing something cuz I dont understand what you mean by FFL TRANSFER..when you are talking muzzleloaders......
please explain what they put you thru.....
I guess the NRA has slipped a bit?
I dont mean to redirect this thread...but when you said transfer I nearly fell off my chair!

Mykeal,

Thanks for the pics of your new Walker. Really nice to say the least! Just ordered one myself from Dixie. This will be my second Walker; first one came from Cabela's quite a while ago, 1996 date code. It has that delicate blue finish that looks so nice sometimes I hate to shoot it. Also have a Whitneyville Dragoon. I like the grip on the Walker and Dragoon, the way the wood is inlet into the frame. Kinda classy if you can say that about a gun.

Go make fire and smoke!!

Dryball (don't ask about the name!)

scalper said:
Beautiful...beautyFULL...WOW....

I might be missing something cuz I dont understand what you mean by FFL TRANSFER..when you are talking muzzleloaders......
please explain what they put you thru.....
I guess the NRA has slipped a bit?
I dont mean to redirect this thread...but when you said transfer I nearly fell off my chair!

The State of Michigan requires handguns be registered. "Curios and relics" need not be registered, and modern black powder replicas are considered curios and relics per the BATFE regulation. EXCEPT when they are used. If one possesses the means and material to shoot a black powder handgun then that gun is no longer a "curio or relic" by the state's definition and it must be registered. That makes it the same as a regular hand gun, requiring the same FFL transfer and purchase record paperwork (thus the $20 fee).

And then, just to make sure you're having enough fun, you must take this new pistol to your local police authority for them to conduct a "safety inspection"

smokin .50 said:
Try shooting it about 6" low with 50 gr of 3Fg Goex...that's the load that I shot a 95 x 100 with my Walker. After a few boxes of balls it'll settle in and be as smooth as a baby's behind! Uberti uses a real heavy type grease that comes off with regular gun cleaners like shooter's choice. Then use a light oil, especially on the cylinder to frame fit. I use Masters that I bought in the Dillon catalog for my .45 ACP's...works great and the cylinder loves to turn!

Good luck with that smoke maker & welcome to the world of .44 Mag Black Powder!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the advice, especially the load. I have 2 Dragoons, so I'm expecting to have to aim low at 25 yards.

I cleaned the shipping oil/grease with No.13 solvent, then did a thorough hot soapy water bath followed by a nice light coat of Bore Butter in the bore, the base pin and the cylinder chambers. Light gun oil in the action parts. Should be ready to go.

Your welcome, and I forgot to mention that I also use a wonder-wad with the 50 grain charge, so that I can compress the charge down onto the ball real good, without the need to pour something else all over the cylinder, like cereal.

I also use a heavy-duty loading stand that was custom built by the BP league chairman at one of the local clubs that I belong to. Gives me a real good chance to minimize the variable of how tight the charge is packed in each chamber, thus making the Walker a real tack-driver!

Good luck with yours!

Dave

P.S.: I know what you mean about the FFL transfer. Here in NJ they are considered handguns and you have to apply for a permit, just like centerfire! You don't even have to have the balls & powder to shoot it, it still needs paperwork :shocked2: :surrender: :cursing: :barf: :shake:

I have the Uberti Walker as well and it does indeed shoot about 6 inches high! Just aim low and you will hit fine. I use a .454 round ball with 50 grains of fff powder. I load the powder and then fill the cylinder up with corn meal and then seat the ball compressing the whole load. A little bore butter or Crisco on top of the ball if you want. Be sure to clean it right after each trip to the range! I use no petroleum products in cleaning or protection after cleaning. Petroleum products seem to increase the difficulty of cleaning and seems to cause more build up of powder residue. The way I clean is as follows:

Take it apart - barrel, cylinder and frame. Remove the nipples and clean using black powder solvent. Place the barrel and cylinder in hot soapy water and brush the gun well and run soapy patches through the barrel and cylinders. Pre heat oven to 150 degrees and after rinsing the parts let them dry in the oven for about 10 minutes. Take them outside and spray with WD-40. Blow dry with compressed air. Use Bore Butter over the entire gun/parts barrel and cylinder. Lube the nipple threads and replace - no need to over tighten these. About every third time at the range I remove the wooden grips and spray the exposed frame with WD-40 and blow dry and lube. Only three screws need to be removed to remove the wood grips - not five! Anyone have any comments on cleaning these revolvers? I have the Uberti Army and 1863 Navy as well - the Navy shoots right on - all others are shooting about six to 8 inches high.

good cleaniong technique Alabama. if camped out/trekking take windsheild washer fluid in spray bottle to soak pistol with and patch bore/cylinder wipe-down and lube for handy quick clean-up. rinse with hot water if you have.(coffeepot) lay in sun or beside fire to dry.

:hmm: That's OK in my county in NY (Nassau/Long Island) requires you to register the handgun on your license including the $10 fee for any license changes, if you are going to shoot it. Most shooters don't give that any notice. :youcrazy: :rotf: :rotf:

Back