• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti Waker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it took almost nine months, but I finally got my Uberti Walker Colt from S&S Firearms. They were great to deal with -- evidently they had a problem with their new Uberti shipments from Italy.

But the patience paid off -- she's a real beauty (see pic below). Unfortunately, it's my busy time of year at work and I may not be able to get out to the range any time soon. When I do, I'll be sure to file a range report!

3183838328_79be9cd82b_b.jpg

Ah! The magnum of the 19th Century. :grin: Not exactly a slouch even in today's world either. Uberti builds a nice revolver, that's for sure. Congrats and have fun. :hatsoff:

That's a big no-no here. Please go back and photoshop the drool marks back in. :haha: :blah:

Thanks -- I am bumming because I am so busy at work I don't know when I can get out to the range. Luckily it's been so cold here in Northern VA lately that, even if I had the time, I am not so sure I'd want to be out at the range anyway!

I have been handling it every day though!!

It makes my Colt Navy look like a baby.

Good thing you're handling it everyday... gotta build up them shoulders an' forearms before ya go slingin' lead with your horse pistol :haha:

Congrads Paul that sure is a Beauty and more than in the eyes of the beholder. I got myself one finally sorta for Christmas and glad to have it in my shooters collection.
Here's a pic of my Uberti Walker and below it my Colt Signature Dragoon.
11-14-08_1535.jpg

SG

Good luck with that horse pistol! Mine likes 50 grains of FFFg, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady. Wins competitions all of the time :grin: !

Aim 6.5 inches low at 25 yards, and dead on center at 75 yards. At 135 yards aim about 9 inches high and you'll hit a torso sized gong if you do your part.

Congrats again, and like others have said, practice holding that huge hog leg still so as to enable you to develop muscle memory, especially with the duelist (strong-hand only) hold! For a two-hand hold, try using the pointer finger of the weak hand just underneath the trigger guard to hold her rock-steady.

Welcome to the club!

Dave

Thanks -- when I got the pistol I also ordered .454 Hornady balls and the wonder wads -- so I am good to go.

Again, still don't have time to get to the range. As soon as I do, I'll report back.

Should use 50 grains of 3f goex on my first go round? Or should I go lower to get the feel of the big boy?

Thanks again.

The weight of the Walker is a handful. That said, the weight also helps reduce recoil. For that reason 50 grains would not be a problem for the first time shooting a Walker.

However, I'd go with 35 grains just on general principals for the first two cylinders.

You may find that.457 balls are a better fit than the .454s are. You want a nice even ring of lead shaved from the ball when you seat it, and you want the ball firmly seated down on the powder. My Uberti Walker uses the .457 balls and I always load the full 55grains of FFFg. Same for my Colts. We mostly shoot at old bowling pins or quart plastic milk jugs at 100 yards and the accuracy is excellent. A little lube over the ball will keep fouling soft--a tallow and beeswax mix is good. This time of year a little olive oil added to the mix will make it easier to work with.

In answer to your question regarding the charge: I've tried just 45 grains, but the uniformity of how much the charge gets compacted by the rammer is affected somewhat. Also, you'll start running into the problem of the ball jumping into the forcing cone, resulting in wider groups. This means that if you want to use less than the 50 grains of powder and a wonder-wad, you'll have to use some filler of some sort to obtain the same depth of seating and pressure on the powder as you ram the ball home. My guns don't eat cereal, just powder & lead :haha:

Some members here recommend 55 grains of FFFg, but I've tried this in my revolver and the accuracy is affected :( . If you have handled other handguns, i.e. a .357 in a heavy-barreled version, the Walker won't prove to be a problem, as it weighs-in at over 4.5 pounds unloaded! Just remember to let the hammer strike the caps while the wheelgun is held steady. You'll get good enough to knock-out the black :). Use the two-handed hold I outlined previously--It will help you to NOT FLINCH as you squeeze the trigger :wink:

Good luck and let us know how you do with her when you get the chance!

Dave

Thanks guys for all the helpful hints.

As soon as I can get out to the range I will file a report.

Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back