• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New traditions trapper pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Nick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
About a month ago I ordered a new Traditions trapper .50 cal percusion pistol from Midsouth shooters supply. When it arrived I noticed that the hammer did not align with the nipple. Since it was a new gun I sent it back to Traditions under warranty (that cost me $11). After a 2 1/2 week wait it came back. At first glance it looked OK. When I started to break it down to clean out the storage grease I noticed it didn't look right. The hammer was centered on the nipple but at an odd angle. Closer examination revealed that the lock plate was bent. At this point it became apparant what the "gunsmith" at Traditions had done. Rather than remove the hammer and re-shape it, he just bent it while in the gun. Of course the lock plate, being thinner than the hammer, bent. This put the hammer centered on the nipple but all cock eyed.

Rather than send it back (probably to the same "gunsmith"), I fixed it my self. This required the use of a press and brass drift to remove the hammer, use of a tourch to bend the hammer, press to strighten the lock plate, and the press to re-install the hammer. Fortunatly I got it right on on the first try and didn't have to take it appart again. I noticed that the blue created from heating blended with the case hardened finish pretty good (the case hardened finish had quite a bit of blue in it). You would have to look close to tell.

Maybe this is what I should of done in the first place.

Happy to hear it all worked out for ya. It's always a pain when ya pay for something, find a problem, and no one want to fix it right.

Well that's what you should have done in the first place!!
Sounds like you had the skills.

But, I would have expected it to be fixed by someone at least as competent as myself, and not some drunk monkey...there's no way you could have forseen that. The Ruger factory pulled a stunt like that on me once.

Hey "fire" bluing is pretty neat. I blued the side-plate on my Jaeger that way, so that one end starts kind of straw color, and then it fades to darker, purple, then blue. Looks really cool and I can't believe how durable it is. It is not wearing or rubbing off.

So how does the pistol shoot?

Rat

I remember a post a year or more ago where somebody had returned a revolver with a busted hand spring to traditions. When it came back he found that they had somehow inserted two replacement springs back to back in the hand. The revolver seemed to work.

It sounds like maybe they have a guy locked in a closet somewhere and when a broke or defective pietta comes in they go " here. fix this." That has got to be pretty close to the top of the list of the ten worse jobs anywhere.

Rat, I haven't shot the pistol yet. I'll probably get a chance next week. I'm thinking that since traditions doesn't make the guns only sells them that they may not have a tourch or a press. I think I'll send their customer service a letter and tell my story.

Pistol is probably Spanish made by Ardesa or their heirs and assigns. They are usually moderately priced and give good value. CVA used to sell quite a variety of these.

Sending a letter to Traditions will be as fruitful and finding apples growing on a cactus. I have written to them twice concerning a problem I had to fix on a brand new pistol and they never even acknowledged receipt of the e-mail or hand written letter. Glad you could also fix your problem. :m2c:

Some of the manufacturers don't answer embarassing questions. They seem uninterested in their products after the cash register rings one time. I guess this works for them as some of the most lackadaisical european replica makers are still in business after more than a generation.

FAP Pietta makes claims about standing behind their products on the web page. They also offer a list of gunsmiths who, at some time in the past, have worked on FAP Pietta guns. You can request this list on line and, when you do so, They don't respond

I asked about Lemat Parts and got this inaccurate response:
"Dear sir,
if you ask to Dixie Gun Works, they will help you.
the best regards,

Alessandro Pietta
merchandising and retail manager
SASS # 41531

Member of SCORRS' society

F.LLI PIETTA HISTORICAL WEAPONS REPRODUCTION

Web site : http//www.pietta.it."

Dixie has a few parts but no lockwork components.
I successfully got parts by back order through VTI and Taylor &company

Here's something I found from a year ago
"factory repair
To: [email protected]

What is the procedure for sending pietta percussion revolvers in for repair?"
No Answer.

Palmetto Arms claims complete after-sale support and that all of their parts are available through the USA importers. Not true:
Here's my second one to Palmetto Arms:
"Once again, I am writing to ask you about customer support for the Lincoln Deringer that you Sell through Dixie Gun Works. Contrary to information on your Web Page, Dixe does not Catalogue all of the spare parts for this item.

In fact, the most critical parts required to keep the product in operation are absent. These are the Main Spring and the Sear Spring.

Regardless of customer support by your concern, I am planning to buy one of these pistols. The reason that I am planning to buy it is that I am researching a book about caplock pistols and the modern replicas. I am particularly interested in the quality of your after-sale support and, at this point, whether you even bother to answer customer inquiries.

Thank you,

Mike Cumpston
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 9:39 PM
Subject: Lincoln Derringer

ref: the lincoln derringer as supplied through Dixie Gun Works.

I am wondering if you make spare parts available- screws, lockwork and main and sear springs?"
No answer to any of three e-mails with one attemt to translate to italian just in case.

On the other hand, I have gotten responses from Uberti USA, Cimarron Arms/Texas Jacks, Dixie Gunworks and Taylor &Company and routinely buy spare parts for the Uberties from Cimarron and VTI.

I had a trapper it shot OK. The ram rod was very soft
and broke after a few shots. Replaced it with a brass
rod. It seems they tried to copy the "Ole" TC Patriot.
I have 2 of the TC Patriots .45 and .36 both are fine
guns.
I see many of the trappers at shoots they seem to do
very good.
Redwing :results: :redthumb:

Glad to hear you got it fixxed.

Just purchased a used one from a buddy of mine. After some fine adjustment of sights it seems to shoot very well for a novice pisol shooter as myself.
Placed third in my second shooting match with it.
Just hope I never need to consult thier service customer support people... YIKES!

Good luck and good shooting

Never had any good results writing to Traditions either concerning problems with their products. ::

My trapper is shooting good (now that I re-aligned the hammer). I've been using 40gr goex 3f, .490 ball, lubed felt wad and .016 patch. Got a third in my first meet with it a couple weeks ago.

I bought a used trapper. I found that some one had ground off the top of the trigger so that it would only fire in set mode. I phoned up Traditions and they promptly sent me a new trigger, gratis. Whilst replacing the trigger I managed to launch one of the springs into orbit. (Will I ever learn?) Phoned up Traditions again and they sent me a new spring gratis, although this time I had to wait three or four weeks as they were out of stock on the springs at the time I phoned.

So can't complain on that point.

Thank ye Kindly Johnson....I need a stock fer my little Crockett .32.....mebe they can fix me up...

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Back