• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to ML, gun kit choices...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyLee

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So I've been perusing the Dixie and Possible shop sites, and have decided I want to either a Lyman's GPR or the St. Louis Hawken. In caplock first, flint will come later (My first flint kit I want to be real purty). So I was wondering about these kits. Which is better for a newb to try to assemble? Better for what I want to use it for( Target then hunting eventually)? And which is just more fun to build/shoot?

Thanks,
Randy

I have a GPR in 54 it was reasonably easy to put together. It takes some skill to make any kit look nice. The GPR is real accurate more so than I am. Good luck with your choice.

Both of them take about the same skill level to put together and finish. They are both good starter kits for someone who wants to get started with building.

As for which I would prefer, I would go for the GPR. It is closer to what an original Hawken would look like of any reasonably priced production rifle. I prefer the longer barrel of the GPR. The .54 is a good caliber for target shooting or hunting.

I would opt for the GPR, even though my 1st kit build was a TC!
I feel the GPR kit lets the builder do a bit more of the detail work (do a search for "old friend" by member 41aeronca)
the barrel is longer, the look is better and personally, I feel the overall fit of the gun is better.
I did the TC for a few reasons... I got the kit for cheap, my intent was to put a 32inch 40 cal barrel on it and lastly, its USA made. came out nice, put looks just like every other tc hawken in the rack where ever you go.

The GPR opens the door and asks to be customized!

I'm assuming the Hawken kit you mentioned is made by Traditions? I'd go for the GPR, myself. It's a solid, rugged gun. Generally a bit better quality than the Traditions guns, especially in the locks and triggers. The kit is a good way to get a feel for building a more advanced kit later on.

My first muzzleloader was a GPR caplock kit in .54 caliber. I was a complete newbie and found the Lyman fairly easy to do. The stock has enough wood to allow the builder to customize to their liking. Here's a couple links to posts on my Lyman that Brett mentioned.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/321341/
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/328689/

I would search for pics on other GPRs done by forum members. There are some pretty creative members here.
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,
My first muzzle loader was a .54 GPR percussion. My second GPR was a .54 flint kit my wife bought for me. The kit was very easy to put together. It is nice to be able to stain the stock and finish the metal to your liking. Kind of makes it your rifle. I have to cast my vote for the GPR. They are very accurate shooters with round balls. Robert58 is right. Midsouth Shooters has the best price around. Better than Dixie. Good luck and welcome :hatsoff: .

Muzzleloading is different from shooting modern cartridge guns. It is really a combination of reloading and shooting and there is much to learn.

To my way of thinking, a person just starting out n this game should try to keep things as simple as they can at first. They need to learn about ball size, patch thickness, lubricants, powder types and their uses, how to clear a mis-firing load, how to start and ram a patched ball, proper cleaning methods and a number of other things.

A large number of people live in areas where real black powder is not available and they do not want to buy 5+ pounds of black powder.

For these people, IMO the Percussion gun is the best choice for starting to learn all of the things they will need to know.
A Percussion gun is fairly easy to shoot and if it is loaded correctly is quite reliable.

After they have learned to use their Percussion guns they can move on to the Flintlocks and continue their learning curve including flint knapping, flint positioning, flint selection, pan priming, vent picking and ignoring a flash of powder 12 inches from their nose before the gun actually fires.

I agree with the basic concept Zonie put forth and I would choose the LGP without hesitation were I to get another halfstock production gun kit

Yup...you're gonna get a flinter someday...do it now and save yerself a couple of years suffering with one of them modern guns that use them little copper caps. A nice GPR flinter in .54 goes together better. I've pretty much done all the production line kits. Now...If you can find a Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti still in the box....ooooooooo...dat's a great gun..

Zonie said:
Muzzleloading is different from shooting modern cartridge guns. It is really a combination of reloading and shooting and there is much to learn.

To my way of thinking, a person just starting out n this game should try to keep things as simple as they can at first. They need to learn about ball size, patch thickness, lubricants, powder types and their uses, how to clear a mis-firing load, how to start and ram a patched ball, proper cleaning methods and a number of other things.

A large number of people live in areas where real black powder is not available and they do not want to buy 5+ pounds of black powder.

For these people, IMO the Percussion gun is the best choice for starting to learn all of the things they will need to know.
A Percussion gun is fairly easy to shoot and if it is loaded correctly is quite reliable.

After they have learned to use their Percussion guns they can move on to the Flintlocks and continue their learning curve including flint knapping, flint positioning, flint selection, pan priming, vent picking and ignoring a flash of powder 12 inches from their nose before the gun actually fires.

:bow: :bow: Exactly!

Suffering by using a Percussion gun? Someone is jesting I'm sure.

If a person can't get real black powder in their area and they don't want to invest almost a hundred dollars for 5 cans of it there is no reason to buy a Flintlock.

Just because some people think Flintlocks are the neatest thing since sliced bread doesn't make them the best gun for everyone.

Percussion guns can shoot any of the synthetic powders that are available everywhere so a person can buy a pound of it for somewhere around $20 and be done with it.

This being the Percussion Forum, I can say that here without fear of being tarred and feathered for pointing this out. :)

I agree, I have both flint and cap and will not give up either. Both style are fun to shoot and like you say the subs that I have used worked fine in the caps. Mark

Back