• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new (to me) renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz1975

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally, after scraping and saving all summer I have been able to get a T/C renegade out of layaway. This is a 50 cal renegade. I found this at a local gun shop about an hour north of me. They wanted $160 for it. When I first looked at it, it had scope mounts and a Simmons scope mounted on the barrel. I took the scope mounts and scope off and plugged those holes with some plug/dummy screws and loctite. It was also missing the iron sights, but luckily I had a set of those laying around, so I replaced them. I made sure that those holes didn't go all the through the barrel wall. When I got the scope and mounts off, I found two more holes in the tang. One of those holes is REALLY close to the tang screw hole. Should I be concerned? Here are some pics
http://s152.photobucket.com/user/chazz1975/media/IMAG0158.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s152.photobucket.com/user/chazz1975/media/IMAG0163.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I'm guessing that if push comes to shove, I can just get another tang for it correct? I am planning on this being my primary ML hunting gun. I am going to send this and another barrel out next spring to be browned, so I am not worried about the finish for now. The inside of the barrel looks like it may have been shot a few times and then cleaned and put away. No rust or pitting what-so-ever. I am planning on refinishing the stock to a darker color with a matte finish. all-in-all, I don't think it was too bad condition for $160.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find for the $ ya done good. I wouldn't worry about the extra holes in the tang, just plug them like you did on the barrel. Worst case would be the tang cracks at the tang screw (which shouldn't be torqued that heavy), then you could find a replacement pretty easy.

I have had both a 58cal and a 54cal Renegade. they are good strong hunting rifles. A little more heavy than what I like.
Sold the 58cal and kept the 54cal.
I wouldn't worry to much about the additional screw holes as long as it doesn't cause a safety problem.
Might want to consider in browning your barrel yourself. Not that hard to do. Check into Birchwood Casey products.

The holes appear to be for mounting a peep sight some time in the past. Don't worry about strength, gun will be fine. Too bad somebody had go hole crazy on your new baby...just one of those things! Plug them like the others and forget it! :thumbsup:

Vearl said:
Might want to consider in browning your barrel yourself. Not that hard to do.

I agree. I have used Birchwood Casey hot brown and Laurel Mountain Forge (LMF) cold brown. Both work great...for a barrel I prefer LMF...for small parts BC hot brown. Just follow the directions and you can easily do it yourself.

That's not a Renegade, but looks like a TC Hawken.

Renegades don't have patch boxes, and the hardware is black, not brass.

I don't see where the holes in the tang, would hurt anything, except looks. If the holes in the barrel and next to the breech plug aren't drilled very deep, then they should be okay too. But a gunsmith would be better experienced to answer that.
Refinished, it should make a really nice rifle.

Good Luck.

I saw pictures of a hawken & a renegade. which one is the gun in question?

The pics posted in this topic are of the renegade. There is no patchbox present in the first pic I posted, and there is a shotgun butt present. This is a 50 cal Renegade. The screws do not go all the way through. I tried inserting a toothpick in all of them and it only went in slightly more than 1/8th of an inch. I bought some plug screws and cut/filed them down to length and used some loctite on them. For some reason, I cannot find screws that thread into the tang holes. Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. I can't wait to get this out to the range and on paper. I feel like a kid with a new bike in the middle of winter. Next day off is next Friday, so hopefully a range trip will be on the agenda.

Check with EvilBay or one of the online auction sites for a replacement tang.
I have bought TC parts from them in the past.

It probably takes a plug screw like 6-48, which you will have to get at Brownell's or Midway. A gunsmith should have some as gun screws are an odd thread pitch. If the smith mounts scopes, he should have the correct plugs.

That's where I got the plug screws to plug the barrel with. The ones I plugged the barrel with were 8-40. The ones in the tang are bigger than 6-48 but an 8-40 seems to large.

Well, I got the final two plug screws for the tang at a local hardware store of all places. They were 6x40. Thanks for that size recommendation, Garra. I went ahead and bought a few of each size, never know when or where I will find another gun that might need them. They were even labeled gun screws & plug screws on the shelf. Around here any of the big box retailers and larger hardware store chains think anything labeled "gun" is absolute taboo. Should have gone there to begin with, as the owner is a shooter and I have had a few conversations with him about shooting and hunting. Also got my elevation screw for the rear sight. Taking it up north to a buddy's cabin this week to sight it in. I'll try to remember to take pics of my targets and post them here. Thanks for all the advice here.

Back