• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just 10 minutes ago purchased a new Traditions Deer Hunter in .50 cal. On Gun Broker and I am new to using a flintlock. I currently have a CVA .50 cal Hawken, .50 cal Kentucky pistol, .58 cal 1863 Zouave, and a .44 cal 1858 Remington all in percussion. I have been shooting BP for over 40 years and but never have I shot a flinter. Any advice or heads up about the beast would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Tom M

Make sure you have the proper size flints, learn to align them properly and how to knap a new edge on them when needed. Then just remember to "hold" when you pull the trigger.
Learn those and you'll fall in love with it.

I bought one of those a few years ago so my wife, who is small, could have a flintlock that's comfortable for her. It doesn't look like it came from 1780 but it sparks well and does the job. The instruction manual should give the flint size needed. I prefer the black English flints from Track of the Wolf.

Be careful. Flintlocks are addictive. They also can reproduce in the gun safe while you aren't looking.

Jeff

I shoot what’s in my horn. So I prime with 2f or 3 f. Careful high speed filming has shown 4 f to be a bit faster, but not noticeable to human senses. 2 f is slower and noticeably so but not enough that would make me carry a priming horn.

I don't hunt anymore so it's easy for me to have a spring-loaded pan priming flask with 4F handy. I have tried 3F in the pan which worked fine but I inherited a few pounds of 4F recently. At my age that's a lifetime supply and more.

Jeff

Before you do anything, buy the below:

Flintlocks, A Practical Guide For Their Use and Appreciation
by Eric A. Bye. You can get it from the NMLRA, or Log Cabin Shop.

It will save you a lot time and increase your learning more the You Tube..

I bought one of those a few years ago so my wife, who is small, could have a flintlock that's comfortable for her. It doesn't look like it came from 1780 but it sparks well and does the job. The instruction manual should give the flint size needed. I prefer the black English flints from Track of the Wolf.

Be careful. Flintlocks are addictive. They also can reproduce in the gun safe while you aren't looking.

Jeff
Reproducing has me worried. It will be in a cabinet with my Zouave, I my open the door one day to find a Brown Bess! 😮😀

back in the day a soldier, Militia man , they all primed with wat was in there paper cartridge or horn. no carrying a separate horn or separate priming powder.

Well I finally got my flintlock today, all excited and then discovered it has no flint installed or in the box😢 no shooting it this week. I ordered some flints from DGW, TOTW was all out of stock. So hopefully soon I can get’er going.

Well I finally got my flintlock today, all excited and then discovered it has no flint installed or in the box😢 no shooting it this week. I ordered some flints from DGW, TOTW was all out of stock. So hopefully soon I can get’er going.

Let us know how she went. Pose any questions you have right here.....

Join the NMLRA and check out all the resources available there. There is a great book, "Flintlocks; a practical guide to their use and appreciation" by Eric Bye, available through the website nmlra.org The organization has a wealth of knowledge available in many different forms.

Back