• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercian

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A new ramrod that I made a while ago for a Pedersoli Mortimer 12ga that I picked up for very much the right money, but was missing it's ramrod. Now before anyone shouts out,we don't have Hickory growing over this side of the pond, so I made it out of Ash from a tree that I felled myself, splitting the blank rather than sawing it down so as to maintain maximum strength and integrity.
I wanted to make it without using any electrically powered tools. I hope my efforts meet with your approval and please excuse the untidy state of my workshop, I have since tidied up.
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2338.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG

Very fine job, ash should work just fine within it's limits. THIS is how you make a ramming rod, no modern day fancy wonder material, well done! Thanks for sharing.
Agreed!
There is no Hickory growing in MT - I bought a Hickory board from the local lumber store, paying attention to grain direction (parallel to the 4 board sides) and accomplished the same.

Yes a few knifes, but the most important tool of all, the one that all great artists have is PATIENCE, and I have yet to be able to buy it at the hardware store.
I've learned patience ruining things because I was not patient. It is more frustration at having to re-do things that has driven the point home - and I really dislike having to repeat things...

I've learned patience ruining things because I was not patient. It is more frustration at having to re-do things that has driven the point home - and I really dislike having to repeat things...

Much agreed!

Juice Jaws, patience must be found within ones self! It's there, you just have to properly apply it my friend!

Oh, I have the perfect job for you to apply it! Have another full green buffalo hide that needs scraped and de-haired! You do that part and I'll do the rest! Can I send it your way? Hehe :D:p

Excellent job Mercian!!!!! I have made Bows, and arrow shafts from local grown Red and or white ash and if hickory wasn't available I wouldn't hesitate a minute to use ash. Very nice!!!!
Robby

You are very right there, my wife always wants to know why I never have time to do something right the first time, but I always have time to do it 2 or 3 times more. I think I will find myself a simple project and work on my patience.

Much agreed!

Juice Jaws, patience must be found within ones self! It's there, you just have to properly apply it my friend!

Oh, I have the perfect job for you to apply it! Have another full green buffalo hide that needs scraped and de-haired! You do that part and I'll do the rest! Can I send it your way? Hehe :D:p

Thank you very much for the offer, very kind of you, but I think I will keep looking for patience at the hardware store.

Mercian,
Well done. Both the thread and the finished ramrod. You have enhanced the Pedersoli Mortimer 12 gauge, and showed respect for traditional skills. You will be rewarded every time you use that ramrod. And I gained some appreciation of what was involved in the making. Thumbs up, and hats off to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Richard/Grumpa

No apology necessary. One of my 'frankisms' is "a messy workshop is a loved workshop". It shows you use it.
And, congrats on the new rod. I respect those who "do it yerself".

Or... you can be a very OCD lad like myself and clean it after every task big or small... Yes that is me, I'll make a mighty mess but clean, clean, clean once finished for the day! The shop is a direct extension of my relaxation time and were I go to decompress. If left in a untidy state it's a deplorable situation! :Do_O

Or... you can be a very OCD lad like myself and clean it after every task big or small... Yes that is me, I'll make a mighty mess but clean, clean, clean once finished for the day! The shop is a direct extension of my relaxation time and were I go to decompress. If left in a untidy state it's a deplorable situation! :Do_O
I can tolerate a little clutter on the bench with projects, but eventually it all gets cleaned and organized (winter is bad, because I can work in the shop for about 15-20 minutes before my fingers have gone numb). My kitchen, on the other hand, I like to keep in good order with everything in its proper place...

Back