• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I picked up this new horn at the Pinnacle Mt Rondy this last weekend in Arkansas--it calls out to be scrimshawed, so my next task will be to do just that (as soon as I figure out what I want on it). The pouch is my old vege tanned one and the hawk I made from a Davis kit. the knife was made by Mickey Wise.
stickshorn003.jpg

Very nice looking items. Re-post with a pic when you get the scrimshawing done. Very nice.

snagg

Mike,
You have enough fine surface on that new horn, you could put you life story on it!
Eager to see it when finished!

Brett

You have some seriously top notch gear there!

Of course I like the horn the most :grin:

Iain

Is that a Lee Larkin Horn? It looks like one, I have one of his and just love it. Great workmanship, and he will add carvings as you can afford it.
Jeff :thumbsup:

blacksmithshoppe said:
Is that a Lee Larkin Horn? It looks like one, I have one of his and just love it. Great workmanship, and he will add carvings as you can afford it.
Jeff :thumbsup:
You know, I am not sure who made the horn--I got it from a dealer and he mentioned the maker and it went right in one ear and out the other--my family was clamoring at me at the same time...but it may be a Larkin. The strap by the way is a finger woven one from a local Cherokee lady --used natural dyed wool, I had it on another horn.

Mike Roberts said:
the knife was made by Mickey Wise.
Wow,that's a knife. :bow: :bow:
Looks like a christmas gift for me.Had to talk with my 3 women. :shocked2:
Mike, has this guy a website?
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
Mike Roberts said:
the knife was made by Mickey Wise.
Wow,that's a knife. :bow: :bow:
Looks like a christmas gift for me.Had to talk with my 3 women. :shocked2:
Mike, has this guy a website?
:hatsoff:

Yes, Wise has a website and you can order over the net--google Wise knives, I think. This model is his usually 6" Backwoods model, but I had him make it 9"--actually it is a little too big...

where would you find such a great hawk like tha one.you woudn,t find one up here in Canada.

LONEWOLF said:
where would you find such a great hawk like tha one.you woudn,t find one up here in Canada.

do mean today or in the 18th century? Today you can order the kit from RE Davis Co. In the 18th century the French presented similar hawks to key Indian allies--in fact I took the filework design from a photo of a 1760 French hawk. Pipe hawks go way back, although it is debated how far--some say ca. 1710, others ca, 1730s; I found a reference to one in 1699 (Le Seuers expedition to Minnesota).

Latest posts

Back