• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pistol by Jukar?? Can anyone help identify

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makensmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a great surprise today! The lovely autumncoyote bought me a pistol today that I don't know a thing about.
It is marker "BLACK POWDER ONLY JUKAR 07XXXX SPAIN".
It seems to be a .45 cal. It is percussion lock with a engraved pattern that I hope shows up in the photo's. I don't think the barrel has been finished but the stock has. The barrel has a lot of dust but appears in good condition with crisp looking rifleing after I put a patch down it. If anyone can tell me about this maker and suggest a load staring point I would appriciate the info.
Autumncoyote spent $40 on this little shooter.
Here's the link to the photo's.
d08c8d41.jpg

18c9eafd.jpg

Thank You All,
Mike

I bought a new Kentucky .45 rifle made by Jukar at a gun show here and the local seller had a small batch of them. The seller said that they came from CVA years ago via a person that used to work there when CVA was still located in CT. Someone else on the web said that Jukars were made between 1960 - 1980. I have seen more than a few new and used Jukar rifles, pistols, parts and kits for sale on Ebay and gun auction sites recently. Their prices would seem to suggest that they are older guns. I'm not positive who imported them or when, but they don't appear to be very expensive guns (considering the Euro) although they do seem to have some popularity.
As for the load starting point, your guess is as good as mine. You can probably start as low as 25 grains and work up from there depending on the distance to your target, powder granulation & accuracy obtained. It looks like the nice pistol you received was also a good deal! :hatsoff:

I've got a flintlock version I bought as a kit from CVA in the 70's. It still shots good and I've even fired it in competition at our monthly club shoots. I use 18 grains of powder at 25 yards. :imo:

Thanks for the help,
I will have to pick up some rb for it and go to the range. I know that CVA seems to have stopped selling sidelocks when I looked for info at their website. I will post here and let you guys know how she shoots.
Thanks Again,
Mike

I have one just like it! and it shoots verry well. I use a .440 rb w/prelubed patch .13", and 1 (one) .44/.45 wonderwad, and 20 -30 gr. of FFFg Goex.
I get nice 1.5 to 2 in. groups at 25 yd!
I have a rifle to match it (same style/cal) however i have not been able to work up a satisfactory 50 yd group/loadstring yet! :curse:

Count me in as having one like your's also!

I have one exactly like the one in your pictures. I gave $40 for mine also... BUT it had a little "hidden problem". There's no wooden "tang" that juts out forward under the the nose cap, leaving ONLY the barrel tang screw at the breech end to secure the barrel to the stock. Before I bought it I had noticed that there was an unusual "loose feel" at the muzzle end, but heck sakes, for $40 I'll do my own repair work!

I am making a little "ELL bracket" out of brass that will be concealed under the nose cap, but from the exterior everything will still look the same, except that the barrel will be secured at the front end when I'm finished with it.

So mine is currently completely torn apart--getting checked for wear, getting a good cleaning, and then it's out to the range for some fun. Actually mine isn't 100% identical to the picture. I just have a standard fixed rear sight leaf, without the elevation adjustment screw. You know, that rear sight in the picture looks like the sight that was on my old CVA Mountain Rifle...?

Obviously there were quite a few of these pistols made for so many of us to know about or have them. Many people dis' these pistols as "junk", but I've had more than a few of these Spanish imports surprise my fellow shooters AND myself at the range.

When my repair is done, I am going to start the loading at 20gr FFFg, then 25gr, then 30gr. Then, I will switch to FFg powder and start again at 25gr, then 30gr, 35gr, and probably stop at 40gr of FFg. If there's no sign of problems, I may even take it on up to 45gr of FFg--but just to satisfy my curiousity and my chronograph. From other similar pistols I've owned, I probably be using about 25gr FFFg.

Nice find and I think you got a great deal too!

Have fun and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

dixie used to sell these up until about 1995?
CVA KENTUCKY PISTOL & KIT
STOCK: Fullstock, select hardwood, gloss finish
BARREL:.50, Blued, 9 3/4 ", Octagon, 7/8 flats, button rifled, .008" deep, 1-48 twist, 8 lands .500 and 8 grooves .516. Front sight-.350 dovetail, steel base with brass blade. Rear sight .350 dovetail, steel, open style.
IGNITION: Percussion,#11 caps, single shot.
FEATURES:Brass Furn., colour case hardened lock, lockplate engraved, single trigger, 15 1/2" overall, 2 1/2 lbs.
ACCESSORIES: 5/16 ramrod with brass tip, nipple 6mm x 1
LOAD: 30gr FFFG, .490 ball, .015 patch
MFG: Spain
Assembled $139.95
Kit $109.95

Should be nothing much wrong quality wise - i guess that these were made by an established manufacturer of modern arms or at least subcontracted out to such to cash in on the muzzleloader boom and cushion them against the declining market for modernn guns in the late 80's early 90's

I want to thank everyone who chimed in to help and also everyone who just looked. This has been the friendliest forum I have posted on.
I have been out of town and will be going to the local shop to pick up rb for a range trip so I will post so you all know what I learned.

Thanks Again for all the suggestions and help!

Mike
:thanks:

This brings back memories. My brother and I bought this exact pistol as a kit as a Christmas present for my dad in 1975. The price was $19.95. We lived in the city and none of us shot guns much, except when we visited my dad's brothers in the country. But the price was so low that we had to buy it for dad. He assembled it and also made a nice presentation box for it and it sat for years, unfired, on the mantle above the fireplace. Twenty-five years later dad died and mom gave the gun to me. In the intervening years I had become a certified "gun freak" so now I have it back.

How much did you pay at that gun show for the Jukar pistol? Do you have the name/phone number/ or email address for the dealer that had the small batch of them?

Sorry hangfiretx,
It was purchased used at a local pawn shop not from a "dealer" for $40. I have been back to the shop a couple of times but there hasn't been any BP stuff to look at.

I will keep my eyes open.

Mike

"JUKAR SPAIN 45 CAL. CAP & BALL KENTUCKY PISTOL" appears on auction arms under blackpowder section. i think its at about 60.00 now.

Latest posts

Back