• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Orleans Ace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldude

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got an Ace (44) and need load info on charge size, can anyone help? Thanks
jim

The pistol is a .44 caliber gun so it should be using .429 or .433 diameter lead balls patched with some cotton or linen material. The .010" thick patches will work.

The powder load for this little gun should be around 10 to 15 grains. You can use either real black powder, Pyrodex or 777.
If you don't have a powder measure, an empty .380 auto cartridge case will measure out 10 grains or, you can use 2, .22 longrifle cases worth of powder for 10 grains or 3 cases worth for 15 grains.

After shooting the gun, don't forget to clean it.
All of the synthetic muzzleloading powders and real black powder form corrosive salts (fouling) when they are shot and these will attract moisture that will rust the bore of your gun.

To clean your gun, use some soap and water. That will dissolve the fouling and wash it away. Don't forget to oil all of the steel parts after cleaning.

At one time I had 2 of those. I had to order.424 balls for it. Even .433 balls were too big fore the barrel.
Things could of changed over the years. I suggest that checking with a caliper would be wise.

Back