• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New/old rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just hoping to get some opinions on the quality from you gurus out there. Had another "accidental" purchase the other day. Bought a .54 caliber Mowrey with brass (receiver?), 32" barrel 1" across and very nice wood. Never been particularly fond of the Ethan Allen design but it has very nice balance, I had the money in my pocket and my wife was not with me so I had no adult supervision. :wink:

Fellow claimed he was the second owner and it had never been fired which my bore scope confirms. Was made in Olney Texas.

ed0c93a3-4b19-49ac-b769-ac784db03712_zps6f8db700.jpg

Now That's a Beautiful Rifle !!!!!
of course I am Biased...I LOVE MOWREYS !
They are getting rare nowadays...The ones made in Texas are the early ones...later they were made by DEER CREEK in Indiana......
Its a simple lock design...not many parts to wear out. And you will be amazed by the accuracy !
Some shooters do not like the drop in the stock..but they seem to fir my shoulder just Fine.
They fit in the 1830 period in the timeline...
copy of the Allen Thurber rifles......
Very Handsome !

larryp said:
Exactly how does one "accidentally" buy a gun? :wink:

LOL....well larryp it's surprisingly easy! Usually it involves a low-ball on an auction site and then I forget about it till I get an email saying "congratulations". Of course my bride is somewhat skeptical about my professed valuable investment declarations. :yakyak:

The latest purchase happened because I was accidentally at the saddle shop I hadn't been to in several months when a fella walked in and asked the owner if he could leave his rifle there to try and sell. I asked what he wanted and he said he paid $200 for it 10 years ago and would like to get his money back. I tried not to look too eager as I quickly pulled out the two hundred dollar bills I accidentally had that day (I seldom carry much cash) and took the rifle home to proudly show to my very understanding bride. :slap: Since I left home that day with no intention of buying a rifle it must have been an accident. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :haha:

if it says made in leauqe city, tx. excellent gun. if made by deer creek ind. a pc. of junk.

WORST case you have a bea-U-tiful "piece of junk" to hang over the mantle...

I do not know anything about that rifle...But, I think it would have been a worse "accident" if you didn't have the 2 bills in your pocket. NICE score!!!

rj morrison said:
if it says made in leauqe city, tx. excellent gun. if made by deer creek ind. a pc. of junk.
How can you tell? Nothin on this one but the word "Mowrey" then 54 on one side and the serial # 15xxx on the other. Fella told me the guy he bought it from said it was made in Olney, TX. but I can't find any other markings on it.

Latest posts

Back