• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

New Member from Alabama

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, John from NE AL. Retired Soldier and Army contractor. Long-time muzzleloader owner-shooter-hunter. My first rifle was a Thompson Center Arms Hawken .45 Cal, then a Remington in-line in .50 cal, then a Colt .45 single-shot pistol as a departing gift from the Sergeants Major Association, and finally a TC Omega in .50 cal. I have an issue w/ the .45 Cal Hawken that I need some help with. A friend sold me this rifle in the late '80s down at Ft. Stewart, GA. He taught me everything I needed to know about shooting, maintaining, safety & more regarding a black powder rifle. I gifted this rifle to my older brother about 15-20 years ago. He lives 6 mths in Cali, and 6 months in Kodiak where he hunts. Obvious to me, he didn't maintain it properly. Long story short he mailed the rifle back to me a couple weeks ago, asking that I give it to one of my sons. I'm trying to get it all squared away and then I'll teach my son how to operate-maintain it and gift it to him. Problem is, I can't free the nipple from the breech plug. I soaked it in Rem-Oil for a few days. That didn't work. I'm using the small breech plug wrench and I'm practically breaking my wrists. I thought about soaking it in bore cleaner. Any ideas would be welcomed & appreciated.

Hi John, and welcome from Beaver County PA. Thank you for your service to our country. As for your question regarding removing the stuck nipple, you may get more answers/suggestions in a different forum, perhaps the general Muzzleloading one, or percussion one. I’m not sure how many members visit this forum for new members. And if you start a thread with a question such as “How do I remove stuck nipple” I think you will get more views, which will get you more advice and suggestions. Guaranteed there’s many guys on here who have been in the same situation you’re in right now. Good luck, and again welcome aboard!

Hi John, and welcome from Beaver County PA. Thank you for your service to our country. As for your question regarding removing the stuck nipple, you may get more answers/suggestions in a different forum, perhaps the general Muzzleloading one, or percussion one. I’m not sure how many members visit this forum for new members. And if you start a thread with a question such as “How do I remove stuck nipple” I think you will get more views, which will get you more advice and suggestions. Guaranteed there’s many guys on here who have been in the same situation you’re in right now. Good luck, and again welcome aboard!

I'll repost it. Thank you Moose.

Back