• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Canada with question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarfarm

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone - happy to be joining here - I just was gifted a Spanish flintlock pistol (with bayonet) that is in a case but don't know much more than what is on the little sign. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Flinklock pistol circa 1840.jpeg

That WAS a flintlock. Now converted to percussion. From the styling ( I may be wrong) it was made later in the 1790’s to 1820’s? The flip bayonet I’ve never seen on an older Spanish pistol. We need more close up photos. Probably Spanish, maybe Portuguese, or Italian. Several experts on here on these guns. Nice pistol!

I can't add anything about the gun's origin, but am curious about the brass plug in the barrel ( plugged flash hole? or ) and the ramrod area. Is the tip of the ramrod actually part of the stock with no attached rod, or?
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 12.01.03 PM.png

That WAS a flintlock. Now converted to percussion. From the styling ( I may be wrong) it was made later in the 1790’s to 1820’s? The flip bayonet I’ve never seen on an older Spanish pistol. We need more close up photos. Probably Spanish, maybe Portuguese, or Italian. Several experts on here on these guns. Nice pistol!
Thank you for the input - more photo's attached

Attachments

• Percussion flintlock handle.jpeg
    Percussion flintlock handle.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Percussion flintlock handle2.jpeg
    Percussion flintlock handle2.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Percussion flintlock.jpeg
    Percussion flintlock.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • bayonet system.jpeg
    bayonet system.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I can't add anything about the gun's origin, but am curious about the brass plug in the barrel ( plugged flash hole? or ) and the ramrod area. Is the tip of the ramrod actually part of the stock with no attached rod, or?View attachment 279615
not sure on the ramrod as I havent taken the 'display' box apart yet - yes I think it was purposefully plugged by someone which is also too bad

Those symbols don’t seem to match the style of decoration of the pistol. I wonder if the barrel was drilled to deactivate it since you are in Canada, and it was plugged to fill the hole?

Those symbols don’t seem to match the style of decoration of the pistol. I wonder if the barrel was drilled to deactivate it since you are in Canada, and it was plugged to fill the hole?
Sams assessment seems fair, the brass suggests decore though it would have a matching one on the opposite side if that was the case .It certainly suggests a conversion from Miguelet but that just what happened to working guns the rod surely will come out , the triangle seems odd but all sorts of owners did odd things .In nineteen 20 all sorts of pistols got destroyed or spoiled by the introduced Firearms acts in the UK. & the NZ govt went along with it. Not sure about Canada All those Soldiers who went through hell in WWI where promised" a land fit for hero's " but the tendancy to forget that & carry one the same old' US & them' ways caused govt to distrust the now very familiar ways with firearms returning Soldiers plus 1917 Russian Revolution was very much on their minds. So the' Us' sorts wanted to register guns" So we know who are friends are ". Big house no problem, Struggling miner ". Oh cant have that." .If I sound like a left wing trade unionist its Not what I am. Its just the reason any firearms laws came about ,.registration is allways followed by confiscation's. Tru bloody doe pushed that poop for years probably still does but most provincial Canadians gave that plan the two fingers . & the US have Bidonites who are at the same game (Box locks to all such.) I always preferred Hammers on my guns anyway guns without hammers or in our case cocks are like dogs without ears don't look right
Rudyard.s view on such matters

PS the' brass' decore wasnt brass it was usually gold leaf. If it is some plug you should see or feel it inside the barrel

Last edited:
i was wondering the same thing - i found the symbols to be surprising

Back