• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Kodiak .72

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just unboxed the new Pedersoli Kodiak Express, and leafing through the Pedersoli manual I note that they now say their double rifles are regulated to group within 12.5 centimeters at 50 meters. That's roughly a 5-inch group at 55 yards. Cabelas and other sellers have been saying the Kodiaks are "regulated" to 75 yards. Once I get the new double to the range, I'll report on my results with patched round balls. Past Kodiaks I have owned in .72 and .58 have exceeded the updated standard, and I hope this one exceeds it as well.

That rifle is one of the many on my wish list! Man would it turn heads at my local match. Nice BIG holes too! What's the hunting charge, about 125 grains of 2F? More? What about bracing it against a tree and letting both barrels let go at once? That would really rock your world!

Dave

Pedersoli recommends a maximum charge of 120 grains under a patched round ball. I went up to 150 with the first one I owned with no ill effects on the gun or my shoulder. Things get a bit livelier with an 835-grain conical. This one has the pistol grip or rather Prince of Wales stock. I cast up some .715 round balls in pure lead and 20:1 alloy and hope to get to the range Sunday or Monday for first impressions. Will report.
P.S. Rebel, how the heck are you?

I am also a 72 Kodiak owner and we talked about the gun in this forum a few months ago.

I like it a lot.

A pal from this forum equipped his Kodiak with a diopter sight, an excellent idea. At the present time I don´t have it on my gun because I could not find a proper sight but I feel its a great idea.

On my gun I drilled an hole throught the end of the stock an inserted a spring loaded weight of about 1 lbs. Now the rifle is much better balanced and the springloaded weight acts as a kickstop.

This works fine !!!!

I changed the pistons (nipples ??) and now I can use musket caps instead of the smaller perkussion caps for better ignition.

The best "bullet" in my opinion is the Lyman 525 Grains Sabot Slug.

It uses a 12 Gauge Shotcup.

This Slug is not only great for hunting it is also a very good target load.

With my rifle the holes in the targets are closer together at about 75 Meter than 50 Meters.

Sometimes I tried to shoot at 100 Meters but got no proper results.

It is too far for such a gun but one day I will test it just for the hell ....

One guy here told he killed an african buffalo with his Kodiak, an other killed an orynx using a 770 Grains Minie.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/206559/fromsearch/1/tp/1[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
The kodiak will be my next new gun buy. looking forward to hearing about the results of your trip to the range. c

Have yet to get to the range. Life has intervened in my shooting plans, and now the weather is gong sour. But soon, and I will post results as I have cast up a nice mess of round balls from the Lyman .715 mold.

Back