• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean138

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished a new horn. The stain is a mix of apple cider vinegar with steel wool allowed to sit for a month then mixed with some potassium permanganate. About 6 coats then the whole horn got a coat of Tru oil. The scrim is filled with sepia toned India ink. Stopper and plug are from scrap wood. Stopper is coated with mineral oil and the plug is painted hunter green. Strap is one I hand wove.
IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Thanks for looking
Sean

Sean
beautiful work ! how do you get that beautiful dark brown ,that is exactly what iwas going for and could never capture ??????
Woa just read how you did it where in tarnations do you get that stuff from ?/potasium pernamigate??

Dark brown RIT clothing dye with a pinch of Black will get the same result also and easier to get at a grocery store. __ PP fades over time with just sunlight. Rit won't!

im hearing holding the part to be stained in coffee ,more age appropriate or coke will open pores of horn prior to staining ? any body try this ?

Use the Chocolate or CoaCoa brown rit with a tiny pinch of red! ___ I don't know if coke opens up pores on horn, but it sure goes great with rum!

Rick :rotf:

I still need to try one with RIT. There have been some horns posted that used it that look way better than mine.
Sean

Just one thing to remember!__ Be sure you use plain untreated #0000 steel wool as many different brands have a coating of oil and other rust preventative coatings on them and will not work with the vinegar stain thing. __ When using PP, you don't need to use any vinegar stain, called "Ebonizer", as it does do much to color bone or horn etc. Woodworkers use it on wood for a stain.

Oh! ... Usually you only need to leave the steel wool Ebonizer for a couple days before using and you should screw the lid down firm. Won't explode!

horner75 said:
Oh! ... Usually you only need to leave the steel wool Ebonizer for a couple days before using and you should screw the lid down firm. Won't explode!

Sorry but oh yes it can explode - In over 40 years of using vinegar black on leather, wood, horn, etc. I've had mine explode twice when well meaning folks screwed it down tight. Plus leaving it a bit loose will allow the acid to gas off over time so no more vinegar odor (that odor is from acetic acid - if it smell it still has residual acid.)
Second while it will work after just a few days the more iron infused into the mix the better the ability to color.

checked on the steel wool in the applecider vineger and there is no rust on the wool ?
i was expecting after a month to see rustcicles

Wait until you pull the steel wool out of the cider. Then you will see rust form fast.

Many Klatch

Back