• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New here - Traditions Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoktrapper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am knew to the forum and new to black powder shooting. My friend has been trying to get me into muzzle loading for about 20 years and I broke down and bought a CVA Staghorn really cheep and tried it 3 years ago ( figured it was sort of modern looking and price was right). I enjoyed it but it didn't really stick (yet) I did shoot his Springfield and Hawken and those were really nice. recently I have really become interested in guns from the 1800's and I have since acquired 3 more black powder shooters, a Pietta 1858 new army 44, a Jukar flint lock, and just recently a Traditions Trapper. I look forward to reading and learning from the experts on this board how to improve my knowledge with this now addicting hobby.

I wanted to ask a quick question in regards to my trapper pistol as well.

I am trying to figure out who (as in Cabellas, Bass Pro.. etc) originally sold the pistol and if it was some sort of special one time deal. I called Traditions and spoke with the lady at customer service who stated she has worked there since the 80s and that my gun is a 1995 issue do the last two digits of serial She said that it was the first year they stamped the barrel with the model info as well. The thing that makes mine unique is that all the brass is painted or powder coated black. She asked me if it was a kit and I am sure its not as I have the original foam and its fit for the gun ( not like the kits where it has cut outs for each part. Also the barrel is factory blued. Sadly its missing the cardboard outer cover. The person who I got it from (who passed away) bought it new and that's all I know. Also in the box was a brass powder measure. The lady at Traditions said they never sold them all blacked out other then the deluxe model which this is not and also never sold with a flask / powder measure. ( It may be that part was put in there by prev owner.) She even looked in a 1995 and 1996 catalog to check to see if it was sold blacked out. She did say that its possible it was made a special for another vendor like Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Outdoor Sports Supply etc. Anyway, I wanted to know if any of you remember ever seeing one of these being sold and who sold it and what it was offered as. I know I shouldn't care but my interest is peaked as I have never seen one factory made with all black brass parts. This thing is mint condition and I cant wait to shoot it.

Congrats on your "new-in-box" Trapper! I have one with a stainless barrel from 2006 (most likely a kit) and really enjoy shooting it. I have not heard of one as you describe, but I agree it is a curiosity. I look forward to others who may be familiar with this variation from Traditions.

a few guys who hunt with their guns use brass black on them, to avoid the shiny yellow chasing off game.

I have a very old Trapper in flint lock. Never messed with it enough to shoot groups. It came BEFORE the foam packaging. if that tells you how old it might be. I do have the original box. All grey corrigated cardboard

It is quite a bit heavier than some of the target guns I have. But it should be able to handle some stout pistol loads.

here are a couple photos of the trapper. It's my understanding it was fired once or twice.

I can't imagine the factory blackening brass parts under normal circumstances.
If the parts were made of steel or aluminum then I can more easily understand
them being factory coated black. Perhaps they were trying to match the color
of an aluminum ramrod tip or a steel front sight with the rest of the furniture?
Whatever the reason, the pistol really does look sharp with all of the blackened parts since they're all matching.

Never saw one blacked out...yet (other than yours) I own the same gun and I shoot 35gr 3F with .22 pillow ticking (washed/dried twice) and .490 balls. It shot awesome. The gun feels good to shoot too.

The finish on yours looks good, not a kitchen sink job. I like it!

Unless it has one, get a hot shot nipple or a stainless or that new brass looking alloy nipple (name escapes me at the moment).

If the stock ram rod is in it, get a new one. I use brass for my ram rods.

Have fun.

I am thinking someone treated the brass furniture to achieve the matte black finish because they liked the look of it with a blued barrel. It does complement the pistol's overall look. :thumbsup:

If a former owner used Birchwood Casey "Brass Black" it would have produced a finish like that.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...?catId=5&subId=65&styleId=223&partNum=BC-BB-2

The biggest problem with Brass Black is the coating is very thin and soft. It scratches easily so when I used it on a brass framed CVA "Wells Fargo" pistol I ended up spraying over the blackened brass with clear lacquer.

If the black parts are magnetic, they are steel. This could be tested by using a refrigerator magnet, borrowed while the "Significant Other" wasn't looking. :grin:

I do like the looks of the blackened furniture. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the weekend I looked at the packaging again and not sure how I overlooked it, but on the Styrofoam was actually the Model number and UPC code. the model is actually different than any of the offered models of the trapper so I called Traditions back yesterday and the really nice lady there is researching it for me. She did say that she believes the gun's black brass was indeed factory done so this is pretty cool and fun to research. The model number is P1120 which is totally different than the regular model numbers.

My brother and his son both have the black. Tried calling him but he is flintlock hunting. I know they had them quite a while. We bought two cap and ball and two flintlock. The flintlocks are different. If I can come up with some info I will post it.

RJ

Finally got around to the flintlock pistol. I told you that we had two Trapper flint and two caplocks with the black. We bought these at Grices gun shop in Clearfield,Penna. We cant remember when we bought them, I know it was quite a while ago. They were made in Spain. Trying to come up with more info for you.

RJ

Back