• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronT

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my camera working and got a pic of the hawk I finished last month. It ain't perfect by a long shot, but luckily I'm also a terrible photographer, so the flaws don't show up in the pic!

hawk.jpg

A hearty thanks to Packdog for all of the advice and encouragement he was kind enough to pass along to me.

Now I'm working on a war club blank I got from Tiger Hunt. He didn't leave me much to do on it, honestly. Heck of a bargain for $65.

Wow! That is a nice hawk! :thumbsup: Good job! I just love the look of maple grain. The only reason you see the flaws is because you made it and you know where they are...the average Joe would not see those flaws.

NORD said:
Wow! That is a nice hawk! :thumbsup: Good job! I just love the look of maple grain. The only reason you see the flaws is because you made it and you know where they are...the average Joe would not see those flaws.

The only flaw I see here is it ain't mine, and I cannot make one that good! :hmm: :cursing:

Davy

Thanks fellas. I should have mentioned that I got the parts from RE Davis. The head takes a bit of filing and sanding, but the grain in the handle is great and really makes the hawk. I hope that when I can get enough dough scraped together for a long gun I can get the same quality wood.

Oh and Davy, if I can do it you sure as heck can. I just used a rasp, some files and sandpaper, an Xacto, and a 1/4" chisel. It's a great way to work on tecnique since if you mess up, you're only out a $22 handle!

Very nice,Looks flawless to me.I sure do like them tiger stripes. What kind of finish did you use? anvil

Thanks again. I used Laurel Mountain Forge's Lancaster Maple with several coats of Permalyn finish. Next time I think I will go a bot lighter with the color, but otherwise I was very happy with the results.

Back