• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Saturday was our opener for Turkeys.

Built myself a new 16 ga. fowler this winter. Been testing for the last couple months. Got to put it to good use on Saturday morning.

I didn't even make it to my planned set up before a gobbler started hollering on the side hill.

Snuck up in and got set up. I started some soft tree yelps at about 5:50, He was all kinds of fired up.

Did my little fly down flap and cackled at him once then I shut up.

He continued gobbling strong on the roost then all went quiet. I guessed he was on the ground.

Within a minute I could hear him coming through the dry woods. I went to full cock.

Caught a glimpse of him about 60 yards out. Saw the swingin' beard.

He stopped at about 40 yds. and look everything over pretty well and then started carefully walking on in.

I was able to get the gun up as he went behind a big tree.

He stood there at about 30 yards wondering why there was no hen visible. I don't think he ever saw my deeks.

I was real confident in my 30 yard pattern(Thanks Coyote Joe!!).

I thought the jig was just about up so I touch her off.

Smoke and fire in the dawn! It's a wonderful thing. I could hear him flapping before I could see him through it all.

Down and done by 6:00 am!!

Some times there is nothing you can do to stop'em from committing suicide.

030.jpg

040.jpg

I've been reading all you guys stories for the last month just waiting to get a chance.

This is my first bird with a flintlock and I'll tell ya, I was like a kid again.

What fun!!!

Greg

I forgot that part!

80 grns. of FF
O.P card
Full cushion wad
paper cup with 80 grn. #6
O.S. card

Joe did me a modified jug choke.

Shoots real good to 35 yds. but it's rock solid at 30.

Greg

That's a beautiful fowler Greg and a fine way to break it in! :grin:
I was kinda shocked by your photo because you look so much like a younger version of my uncle Dick, he's now 92 and still manages to hunt a little. You look like he did 50 years ago.

Gregory said:
Smoke and fire in the dawn! It's a wonderful thing. I could hear him flapping before I could see him through it all.

That's fantastic, congratulations !!
:hatsoff:

Very Nice job on both..how rewarding?...Thanks for sharing !....Loved the hunting story!

Way to go Gregory! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. That is a beautiful fowler. Will you tell us a little more about it please? Kit, built from scratch, etc, etc???

:hatsoff: :applause:

I started with a walnut log. Sawed the planks out and had them dryed. Fred Miller roughed out the pattern for me. Bought the parts. Some from Jim Chambers, some from Track. Colerain barrel.

It's based on Jim's PA Fowler more than anything else I guess.

Greg

Back