• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New fella from Georgia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBird

36 Cal.
Reaction score
well i joined up a day or two ago and just made my first post so i figured id introduce myself.

not new to firearms. and ive always been an old school guy. could never stand new guns. every gun i bought new has been sold haha. same with scopes. i always find myself going deeper and deeper into hobbies and with my love of history i keep going back. started with compound bows and now build my own longbows

but anyways, I used to spend a few days a week at the range since its only 5 minutes from my house and free. but i havent shot really any since last hunting season because i was just getting bored..

Ive wanted black powder for a few years now and im finally gonna convert. hopefully have a kit here in the next week or 2. if paypal ever cooperates with me i will have a T/C Hawken on its way to me (.50 Flintlock)

Well apparently i joined march of last year. When i tried to make an account a few days ago it must have logged me in...

Anyways im in Habersham (north georgia) just turned 22 this past week so hoping to buy myself a rifle for the occasion, thats my excuse anyway ;)

Any of you fellow georgians know of anybody that carries black powder and accessories around here. Closest i know of is basspro.

:hatsoff: Howdy and welcome.My first BP rifle was a TC Hawkin flinter that was in 63 it done me well.Still have and use it.Added to my collection since then.It's like candy ya gotta have more.Take care.Griz

Guns of yesteryear in dalton GA or on the web at track of the wolf. Good to see a fellow from the North georgia area, where do you do your shooting at?

Wilson shoals wma. Range used to be free and open 7 days a week but its changed recently. Now requires a wma stamp i think and open 5 days a week or something.

like you I was getting a little bored with shooting and deer hunting. Then I got me a flintlock and it's on now. Missed a easy shot last weekend because I got to excited! :haha: Welcome to the club.

My searching has not turned up much, but can someone recommend some online shops that sell used ML'ers the only place I found with more than a few is thegunworks didn't want to start a new thread with a stupid question like this. There's descent selection on tgw but don't wanna overlook anywhere. Hoping to buy one this week.

Did you get the Hawken kit? I'm not sure what interest you but you may want to take a look at the guns on Track of the Wolf website. I have to ask what style of rifle do you prefer? Do you like the plain southern guns or do you like something a little fancier with carvings and engravings? Do you like fullstocks vs. halfstock? My advise is not to rush into anything until you've figured out what you really like. Just keep doing your research and education on the different style/schools of black powder guns to see what strikes you. Don't overlook new guns or kits, you can find then at great prices every now and then. You could also start buying parts as you can afford and then have a builder assemble it when your ready. Lots of options for you. :thumbsup:

Oh,almost forgot. Welcome to the forum. I think you'll love this black powder game. Feel free to pm me any questions you may have. Also, there is a wealth of info and knowledgeable folks here so ask away with questions in the appropriate sub forums. :thumbsup:

I passed on the hawken after a lot of PayPal issues. Also decided I'd rather start with a percussion than move to Flintlock maybe next year.

I really like hawken and plains style. Not lookin for anything fancy. Like to have something soon that I can get on the range and out in the woods before deer and squirrel seasons are over.

Really can't decide between 50 and 54

Im considering going after a .54 Lyman Trade rifle. New..

seems to be alot of varying prices. $512 from lyman. between $400-415 in alot of places and even as low as $350 NIB. is that normal i cant tell differences between the rifles

Back