• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recent posts on a couple of Forums inspired me to try a turned box. I had a great idea for a scrim design but, after seeing the pattern in the horn after dyeing, I left it alone. The base and top are curly maple. The inlay is a smoothed over (supposedly silver) Canadian dime that ended up being an odd gold color.

]
Box25.jpg

Eric a very nice, elegant box. Love the color, but any particular reason for not using pins on the base? Excellent job!

The horn fit nice and tight on the base so I just didn't pin it yet. I will, as I know the wood will shrink a little over time.

I stained the maple with Laurel Mountain Forge "Maple". I apply it with a swab while the part is turning (slowly) in the lathe. When it dries I swab on a mixture of varnish/linseed oil/turpentine and rub it in with a rag (being careful not to get the rag stuck in the chuck).

Final finish is paste wax.

BC, that's easy on the eyes...looks great!

Question:
Any idea what the story is that these things are called "boxes"...given we're raised to think in terms of a "box" being square or rectangular, having 90 degree corners, etc?

me personally I have always just called them "conatiners" but thats just me!

beautiful work! your right the growth rings really pop with that color! what did you use on the horn itself? :hatsoff:

Boog: It was a 1968 dime. The odd thing is that, as I was filing off "Bluenose" (I wouldn't think of defacing the queen) the silver color disappeared and the gold color appeared. When the image was partially removed there was still silver color in the low points. It looked like the coin was layered or plated in silver over a base metal. The color of the unaltered coin was the same as earlier dates I have - only brighter.

RB: I guess "box" has been used to describe various shapes of containers. Think of "Shaker Boxes" that are oval. I would assume that a box would refer to a lidded container.

Gus: I dyed the horn with a mixture of RIT golden yellow and a touch of coca brown. The maple was stained with LMF Maple and finished with a mixture of varnish/linseed oil/turpentine. I do the staining and finish on the lathe at a slow speed being careful not to get the rag caught in the chuck.

Final finish was paste wax.

Any idea what the story is that these things are called "boxes"...given we're raised to think in terms of a "box" being square or rectangular, having 90 degree corners, etc?

They are called boxes because that is what turners call them. :shocked2:
Don't question it. Turners are as hard to reason with as ml'ers. :wink:

Thanks...
Also, seems like a pair similar to the ones you posted would make a beautiful set of Salt & Pepper shakers too

Back