• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Book on Indian Wars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a new book on the Indian Wars, "The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West" by Peter Cozzens. On the strength of the favorable comment about it in the "NY Times Book Review" a few weeks ago, I purchased it and just finished reading it. It is a thorough, compelling history of the Indian wars and may be of great interest to many here.

Quite objective, Bill and very different than De Loria's one sided representation of long ago. Many U.S. Army personnel, for ex., were sympathetic to the Indians' plight even though they were foes. As a reader, I couldn't help feeling sorry for them as well and thoroughly disgusted with the federal gov't. and Congress Sound familiar? They were a PITA even then!) However, it's also pretty clear that given our history, i.e., westward migration, the market for bison fur/robes, Manifest Destiny, and the construction of the transcontinental RR, that the Plains Indians couldn't coexist with each other, and more importantly, us.

Maven said:
There's a new book on the Indian Wars, "The Earth is Weeping: The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West" by Peter Cozzens. On the strength of the favorable comment about it in the "NY Times Book Review" a few weeks ago, I purchased it and just finished reading it. It is a thorough, compelling history of the Indian wars and may be of great interest to many here.

I go to go to Phoenix year to shoot the Western and we stop in Fort Bowie so the wife get her wine.

They have some great photos of famous Indians,
The Fort and the military.

Will order the book.

Maven,

The book is well written with a lot of foot notes for documentation.

Back