• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colterkid

40 Cal
Reaction score
Question again: I have this Traditions Shenandoah percussion rifle with a .50 caliber barrel. They made this gun in .36 caliber at one time.
Are there barrel maker's that can make a .36 cal interchangeable barrel that will fit in the cradle of the walnut stock of the .50, or would it be worth it to have it made as far as the expense? Would I have to ship the existing barrel to the barrel maker if there's one?
This is an older walnut one piece stock In very good condition.
Thanks muzzleloader friends.

Since this has been up for a while with no responses, I take a stab at it. You might contact traditions to see if the have a .36 barrel available. You could have a barrel made or purchase one from a vender if you can get the barrel width and at least as long as the original. You would have to have a breech plug installed with the correct tang. The final issues would be dovetailing it for the barrel pin lugs and sights. Other than the breech plug the other items are not overly tough to do. If Traditions doesn't have a barrel contact Track of the Wolf to see what they have. They have always been helpful for me with a phone call. There are probably others too.

Since this has been up for a while with no responses, I take a stab at it. You might contact traditions to see if the have a .36 barrel available. You could have a barrel made or purchase one from a vender if you can get the barrel width and at least as long as the original. You would have to have a breech plug installed with the correct tang. The final issues would be dovetailing it for the barrel pin lugs and sights. Other than the breech plug the other items are not overly tough to do. If Traditions doesn't have a barrel contact Track of the Wolf to see what they have. They have always been helpful for me with a phone call. There are probably others too.

Thanks Kansas Jake and moonman76. Y'all have been a good help.
Appreciate your time and kind help.
Aj

Barrel makers will make you a copy of your current barrel but you will get sticker shock when you see the price , I am guessing around $350 or more, that is what the Gun Works charges for a drop in replacement of a barrel from .32 to .58. I also understand there is a long wait time for one of these custom barrels

Question again: I have this Traditions Shenandoah percussion rifle with a .50 caliber barrel. They made this gun in .36 caliber at one time.
Are there barrel maker's that can make a .36 cal interchangeable barrel that will fit in the cradle of the walnut stock of the .50, or would it be worth it to have it made as far as the expense? Would I have to ship the existing barrel to the barrel maker if there's one?
This is an older walnut one piece stock In very good condition.
Thanks muzzleloader friends.
I have a Shenandoah Flint .50 cal. Changing the barrel even if you get a .36 for it might not just be drop in. For what a custom barrel cost you may be able to find a complete .36 rifle of similar style. I have a .36 Greene Mountain drop in on a Hawken stock. The .36 is fun to shoot and accurate. Put the word out on the forum what you are looking for.
Good luck and have fun.

Back