• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New barrel protectant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheape

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but it's something that's been on my mind lately. I recently ordered my first flintlock from TVM, should be ready within the coming weeks, very excited to say the least. My question is in regards to the barrel and whether or not it comes with some rust preventative already inside the barrel once it arrives at my door. I ask because I don't have any jags or supplies whatsoever and probably won't for a spell after it arrives, I'm worried about possible condensation building up in the barrel. It's travelling between Mississippi and Nova Scotia, with lots of wild weather in between.

Am I over thinking this?

The best thing to do is call them and ask. If they don't put anything in it ask them if they can, heck just some 3in1 or so WD-40 will help

I can tell you...

My buddy, good ol' boy Matt at TVM, spares no expense and uses transmission fluid to protect his builds.

Even so, I wouldn't worry one bit -- if there's a problem with your order it won't be from the transit I assure you.

You are UNDER thinking it!
you don't need a jag to oil the inside of the barrel.
Just tie a cleaning patch to a long piece of mason line or other strong string and ram it down the barrel, then pull it back out.

In the mean time get on the computer and order a jag.

I recommend cleaning it before you shoot it and I wouldn't shoot it until you have all the necessary cleaning supplies.

I think we're all well aware of your distaste of TVM, Alden. I'm only new to the forum and it is evident even to me that you take every opportunity to spew the same prattle every time TVM comes up. Even when it means derailing a thread. It's very off-putting to new comers from an otherwise affordable and quality piece. You're the only person that I know of who speaks so vehemently against TVM and their customer service. You didn't keep me from placing my order, and thankfully I've had a very pleasant experience everytime I've spoke to them. They've always been very accommodating and kind and I have full confidence in Matt on creating a beautiful gun.

As per the barrel, I think I will scratch up enough cash and get some Ballistol and the appropriate jag, the bare minimum I suppose, until Christmas stops draining my wallet. Will Ballistol be fine? Suggestions?

I use Barricade for short time use myself, and RIG Gun Protectant for longer times, ie. over 1 month is my deal.

TVM guns are excellent Plus and you can trust Matt. Normally barrels on custom guns do come with a temporary protectant in the bore but don't take any chances. Ballistol is NOT a good preservative; Barricade IS. Even WD40 will work as temporary bore protection.

Cheape said:
This might be a silly question, but it's something that's been on my mind lately. I recently ordered my first flintlock from TVM, should be ready within the coming weeks, very excited to say the least. My question is in regards to the barrel and whether or not it comes with some rust preventative already inside the barrel once it arrives at my door. I ask because I don't have any jags or supplies whatsoever and probably won't for a spell after it arrives, I'm worried about possible condensation building up in the barrel. It's travelling between Mississippi and Nova Scotia, with lots of wild weather in between.

Am I over thinking this?

Why ask here, ask the person who is building and shipping the rifle?

Only the builder knows, no one here knows what the builder does, do they?

If I was concerned about shipping, I would not order.

Cheape said:
distaste, evident, spew, prattle, derailing a thread, very off-putting to new comers, vehemently,,,,
:bow: :bow:
You have become my instant Hero :hatsoff:

Usually,, new barrels come with a very heavy packing grease that can and does resist the most demonic shipping and weather conditions.
It'll arrive safe and sound. The biggest trouble is new owners being anxious to shoot the new toy and not cleaning all of the shipping grease out of the new bore. Lot's of brake cleaner or other oil solvent type stuff is needed and plenty of cleaning patches.
While Ballistol is good for a lot of things as applied to ML's storage and bore protect-ant/preservative isn't one of those attributes.

You'll get lot's of suggestions about oils, but in short a good gun oil is all that's needed. The key is to remove all traces of petroleum oils from the bore/fire channel before shooting each and every time.

I use Hoppes 9 Lubricating Oil for day to day and common needs and LPSII for long term (seasonal) storage, but like many things it's an individuals experience that guides his choices.

There's no mystery to caring for a modern ML rifle, just treat it as you would any other investment with continued care being the focus.
:wink:

Alde is something else. I would ignore him in favor of the many satisfied TVM customers including me. He obviously has a major burr under his saddle, but we don't know what it is. Maybe a personal vendetta of some sort?

A year or two ago, I bought an early Lancaster flint-lock. Beautiful, except the stock was broken at the wrist during shipment. TVM handled things with UPS and had the damaged rifle picked up at my house for return. Within a short time, the replacement was received. All is fine.

Hanshi, Armakiller - Thank you for the replies, Barricade seems to be what I need, I'll see if I can get my hands on some. I see TOW offers it, will likely put an order in this week.

Richard - I ask on here because a traditional muzzleloader (forget a flintlock) is just unheard of around here and I have no one else to ask or talk about these things to. I'm new to all this, just trying to learn.

Necchi - This is good to know, I can only think of the mess created by fouling over said 'grease'. I'll be sure to give her a good cleaning before any fire and smoke and invest in a good oil, I'll see if I can find the Hoppes.

Dcriner - I was worried about the same happening to my Tulle during shipping, so I asked if it was possible to ship in a sturdier wooden box, they said no problem. I will pay a little extra for the length (46" bbl) and weight, but worth it, I can only the imagine the sickening feeling of finding the wrist of your new gun split!

Cheape said:
Will Ballistol be fine? Suggestions?

Ballistol is all I use for bore protection and exterior metal. Works great for me :thumbsup:

I would recommend Barricade over Ballistol as a rust protectant any day of the week. I would think that your rifle would be sent with some kind of rust preventative in the bore to begin with and would definitely ask before it's shipped.

For the reading comprehension deficient:

Cheape said:
...ordered my first flintlock from TVM... My question is in regards to the barrel and whether or not it comes with some rust preventative already inside the barrel once it arrives at my door... I'm worried about possible condensation building up in the barrel. It's travelling between Mississippi and Nova Scotia, with lots of wild weather in between.

Answered! You maroons -- good ol' boy Matt Avance uses, and recommends, transmission fluid as gun protectant. At least he has been. And he's not the only one.

Some of you can't seem to buy a clue even when it's being given to you for free. "I would rather you just said 'thank you', and went on your way." But keep arguing about this amongst yourselves if you need...

Cheape, good luck with the new gun.

Ok Alden!
I will join you in not liking transmission fluid.
IT STINKS! literally. :td:

But, ya know If they keep growing they might just become the next Thompson Center! :stir:

For those who don't know, automatic transmission fluid contains a large number of additives including rust and corrosion inhibitors.

It does an excellent job of protecting iron and steel parts from rust.

It's chief disadvantage when used in a barrel for rust and corrosion protection is, it is a petroleum oil product that needs to be cleaned out of a black powder rifle barrel before shooting.

In a "wet" layer, it can increase hard to remove fouling when it black powder is ignited on it.

Barricade on the other hand drys to a protective film that doesn't cause a problem with black powder fouling.

Birchwood Casey Barricade Rust Protection: $7.66/4.5 ounces.

AC Delco automatic transmission fluid: $24.48/gal. (for the TVM Cheerleaders that's about 128 ounces).

Even good ol' Matt has enough fingers and webbed toes for his crossed, red, eyes to see CUSTOMER'S guns are going to get a coat of transmission fluid...

Back