• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New antler handled knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished this half tang, two pin antler handles knife. It’s the first knife I’ve made this way..I like the way it turned out and now am in need of a sheath, I may make that or possibly outsource a sheath.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Vinagaroon?
Vinagroon is made by pouring vinegar into a sealable container and tossing rusty metal into it. Seal it up and forget about if for a few weeks. The rusty metal makes a nice dye for wood, antler or horn. One can adjust the tint by the amount of rusty metal you toss into it. I got mine pretty dark! I’ll try it on my new horn I’m making when I’m done with it.

Vinagroon is made by pouring vinegar into a sealable container and tossing rusty metal into it. Seal it up and forget about if for a few weeks. The rusty metal makes a nice dye for wood, antler or horn. One can adjust the tint by the amount of rusty metal you toss into it. I got mine pretty dark! I’ll try it on my new horn I’m making when I’m done with it.

Vinegaroon on leather. Only works on vege/bark tanned though. Very black and doesn't rub off on clothes. White vinegar is best to use because it has more acid. The more the steel/iron used, the better and darker.
DSCN0990.jpg

I just finished this half tang, two pin antler handles knife. It’s the first knife I’ve made this way..I like the way it turned out and now am in need of a sheath, I may make that or possibly outsource a sheath.
Nice knife! did you epoxy the handle or just used the rivets?

Nice knife! did you epoxy the handle or just used the rivets?
I did both, made a nice tight fit, the used a small amount of 2 part epoxy and tapped in the tight fitting pins. It shouldn’t go anywhere anytime soon! Now I need a sheath and I havnt the patience for leather work. My only regret is that I wish I would have went with a lighter stain. Hoping in time it will wear down some or maybe I can take take sone of the finish off with steel wool? Thanks buddy!

Vinegaroon on leather. Only works on vege/bark tanned though. Very black and doesn't rub off on clothes. White vinegar is best to use because it has more acid. The more the steel/iron used, the better and darker.
DSCN0990.jpg
I’ve had some pretty descent results using it on horn material and knife handles, I’ll have to try it on leather. I was afraid it would dry the leather out…but obviously it doesn’t. Thanks!

Vinegaroon was the historical original way of blackening leather. It could dry it some, but so does any other dye method. Apply until evenly and well wetted. If you have a good strong solution, it will turn in minutes. If an area resists wetting, rub the spot gently with 0000 steel wool and re-apply. let air out and dry until the vinegar smell is gone or greatly reduced, then wipe well with a soft rag, oil with a good leather dressing or mineral oil. Oiling makes it even blacker. This will NOT work on chrome tanned leather.

Latest posts

Back