• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Addition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I experienced a weak moment. :shake: I just had to have this pistol in my collection.
Turkish made Kubar pistol. First quarter of the 19th Century. About .65 caliber. Barrel and lock overlayed with gold kofgari work (low grade gold). Brass mounts with the stock decorated with small brass mosaic inlays. Surprisingly, there are only four missing. Ram rod and muzzle tip are horn. As with most of these pistols the ramrod is a short, thin styling exercise, but is removeable. The last photos show an original Turkish brass (with a heavy patina) loading rod called a Suma. The Turks (and the Greeks) prefered to load their pistols with a seperate loading rod tucked in the sash or suspended on the neck with a throng. This Suma dates from the mid-late 1700's. Anyway, here's a bunch of pics. Thanks for looking. Rick.

DSC00674Medium.jpg

DSC00675Medium.jpg

DSC00679Medium.jpg

DSC00678Medium.jpg

DSC00693Medium.jpg

DSC00676Medium.jpg

DSC00677Medium.jpg

DSC00691Medium.jpg

DSC00692Medium.jpg

DSC00685Medium.jpg

DSC00681Medium.jpg

DSC00680Medium.jpg

DSC00684Medium.jpg

DSC00686Medium.jpg

DSC00687Medium.jpg

DSC00688Medium.jpg

DSC00689Medium.jpg

DSC00690Medium.jpg

DSC00697Medium.jpg

DSC00694Medium.jpg

DSC00695Medium.jpg

DSC00696Medium.jpg

There are many people out there who dont care for historical firearms or "guns" as they would put it but I have to say what kind of person could not find the beauty and elagance in the fine craftsmanship in that pistol?

Thank you all for the kind comments. Glad ya'll like it. The guy I purchased this from thought it was Russian. I can see why he thought this. It displays well. Thanks again, Rick.

Hi Bill!! No liner for this one. Would depreciate the pistol too much. I'll just keep this one for my collection.
Here are three other Middle Eastern type pistols that DO have Hoyt liners in the barrels. Thanks, Rick.
DSC00260.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

BalkanPistol-1001Medium.jpg

Rick I Opened this page and saw the pictures. It's the big one Martha. It took me a while to get off the floor and take a good look. Now that is a pistol. :thumbsup:

Funny thing I notice about these pistols is that
they have a belly infront of the frizzen spring
like the ram rod hole is above the front lock
screw....Is that the reason ??? Again my complements on your collecting [finding] ability.
Wulf

Hi Bill. I'm going to use your suggestion. I plan on taking some videos shooting at least a half dozen different Middle Eastern type guns this Spring/Summer. I'll Post in the appropriate Forum.
The three pistols above: Top one is Albanian. The strange looking one in the middle is a Balkan made gun with a lower grade stock and a later period addition of a high grade, silver mounted, Ottoman lock. Looks rather silly doesn't it? :haha:
The lower one was made in the Balkans - for the Turkish market.

Hi Wulf. The belly look in the stock is just to accomodate miquelet style lockplate. The ramrods (on European guns) pass over the top of the front lockplate screw.
But virtually all Middle Eastern type pistols have what's called a "false" ramrod. Notice the middle pistol above was made with no provision at all for a ramrod. They prefered to load with a seperate rod. Rick.

Latest posts

Back