• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Never seen this before

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stykbow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
No pic, but I was out hunting this morning and saw a spike buck. Well, this little guy walks up really close and I noticed he has a white ear tag! That’s a first for me, never seen it before. I thought he may have been a pet and just wasn’t afraid of me. That wasn’t the case because I just barely moved my head and he blew out of there.

@Brokennock i saw that thread on Tndeer when it popped up on Sunday, but they never mentioned the color of the tag or got any answer. It was a weird tag and not like one you’d see on cattle. I sent TWRA an email asking about it. I really hope they respond because it’s driving me nuts!

fish and feathers had a 2 year study of white tail does here. when i questioned the cute young gal intern about it she in all seriousness said they were only going to trap does.
couldn't bring myself to how that worked.
the tagged does were studied for mortality , birth rates, and cwd.
Does wouldn't necessarily be without antlers. Acquaintance of mine shot an antlered doe (a product of "better living through chemistry", I suspect). His wife posted a photo to Facebook, after which he got a call from the DNR and lost his hunting license privileges for 5 years because he didn't have a doe tag. I would think there would be some leniency in that type of situation, but apparently some folks enjoy being tyrants.

Moral of the story is that you'd better check between the legs of the next "monster buck" you shoot. Maybe we'll have to start getting LGBTQIA (and however many letters there are in that alphabet soup now) deer tags, just in case. Could get interesting now that there are 89 different genders, and we won't know which one the deer we shoot actually is. Might also have to ask the deer what their pronouns are first. 8^)

Last edited:
Does wouldn't necessarily be without antlers. Acquaintance of mine shot an antlered doe (a product of "better living through chemistry", I suspect). His wife posted a photo to Facebook, after which he got a call from the DNR and lost his hunting license privileges for 5 years because he didn't have a doe tag. I would think there would be some leniency in that type of situation, but apparently some folks enjoy being tyrants.

Moral of the story is that you'd better check between the legs of the next "monster buck" you shoot. Maybe we'll have to start getting LGBTQIA (and however many letters there are in that alphabet soup now) deer tags, just in case. Could get interesting now that there are 89 different genders, and we won't know which one the deer we shoot actually is. Might also have to ask the deer what their pronouns are first. 8^)
have a friend also that shot an antlered doe. our illustrious law makers in a fit of rare sanity wrote our regs to be Antlered Deer, with no consequences for shooting an antlered doe, other than bragging rights.

That's insane. I would have fought that one in court if I had to go broke doing so.

This is why any state that knows what they are doing would put it in writing that an antlerless deer is any deer with antlers 1" to 3" or less. Or at least stipulate visible antlers.

Last edited:
Are there any private game reserves near you? If so the deer may have been an escapee, to make a raised deer legal most states require the tags.

That's insane. I would have fought that one in court if I had to go broke doing so.

This is why any state that knows what they are doing would put it in writing that an antlerless deer is any deer with antlers 1" to 3" or less. Or at least stipulate visible antlers.
The strange thing is that they refer to "bearded" turkeys in the regs, and not toms, but apparently never thought about it with respect to deer. Didn't realize how common bearded hens were until I shot a "jake" last spring and was surprised to see eggs when I cleaned it.

Actually -- I just checked the regs -- which now refer to antlered and antlerless rather than bucks/does. Must have updated since my friend's mishap (which was several years ago).

Last edited:
The strange thing is that they refer to "bearded" turkeys in the regs, and not toms, but apparently never thought about it with respect to deer. Didn't realize how common bearded hens were until I shot a "jake" last spring and was surprised to see eggs when I cleaned it.

Actually -- I just checked the regs -- which now refer to antlered and antlerless rather than bucks/does. Must have updated since my friend's mishap (which was several years ago).
Indeed. I reckon bearded hen turkeys are not all that uncommon. I saw one last summer up close for the first time.

Back