• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need your perspective

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I have a question for you all. I live in an area that is “lead Free”, meaning I can not hunt big game with any bullet that has any lead in it. I bought the Lyman GPH because of the fast twist so I could shoot sabots in it. Now that I have been shooting it with lead I do not want to shoot sabots.

I have to drive at least 3 hours to get someplace I can hunt big game with lead but only 30 minutes if I work up a load for sabots. So obviously I can hunt more if I do it close to home.

I can always switch back over to a modern firearm but I do not want to do that either.

What would you do?

A. Work up a load with sabots and just use it where I have too

B. Hunt less and drive further so I can shoot lead

C. Switch to a modern rifle close to home and use the ML when I leave the area?

Thanks for the input in advance.

Well since you bought the fast twist rate barrel I would go ahead and try out the blasphemous projectiles. You could always bring along the high power rifle(or handgun) that could be used to fill your tag if all else fails. Hunting close to home always gave me many more opportunities to hunt.

If that sabot is accurate, I would use it. It's just one small concession from everything you want, and life is full of concessions anyway. Using it won't make a bit of difference in the way you hunt, or shoot, or eat a sandwich for lunch, or gut a deer. It won't change your hunting experience at all once you get past the mental hang-up.

And I realize it may not be a trivial decision. I too would have second thoughts about using one of "those" types of bullets in my snobbish rifles. But hey, I would trade hunting for P/Cness any day, if I were forced to. Hunting first, equipment second. I'm just glad I can still use a roundball for hunting, like nature intended :grin: . Bill

silly goose said:
I think snowdragon pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Same here. We ain't supposed to talk about them, so don't. Just use them in peace and be quiet about it. We won't tell.

Jay, you don't have to choose....do it all!!!!! If you have the time to get there, go where you can use a PRB... if time is short, load up the sabot and get you in the woods near your house... if you have the opportunity to fill the freezer with your centerfire...lock and load

Like I tell my kids, the most important thing is to get in the woods and have fun.....my favorite way to do that is with a few select friends in remote areas with my flintlock....but that is not always possible, so I do what I can, whenever I can.

Flintlocks, cap locks, PRB's, sabots, shotguns, center fire rifles, handguns, bows, trapping, fly fishing, bait casting, surf casting....how can any day in the woods doing anything on that list be a bad day?????

Thanks guys.

I love the muzzleloader and would rather hunt with that. I will work up a S***t load for close to home. I do not have much desire to hunt with a modern firearm at this time.

If I am real lucky I can get them to shoot about the same place.

Long term, look into getting a 58 caliber. RoundBall has posted some great threads about locating and testing sources for 58 cal brass balls (actually .562 IIRC). Do some searching of past threads and I think you'll be inspired.

There's also the possibility of using ITX nontox balls from Ballistic Products in your existing muzzleloader. They're not cheap, but they're certainly cheaper than those plastic wrapped thingamabobs. Haven't tried them myself, but the shooter reports I've read are positive.

If you go that route, be sure to report back.

You forgot the 4th option.... Move. It's all depending on how badly and how important hunting traditional is to you.

The only real practical choice is option A of course.

If you ever get a another rifle, given the lead ban on your close hunting location, strongly consider a .58cal.
An online metals company happens to make a solid brass ball... .562" x 201 grains...that I range tested this summer...single ragged hole accurate in my .58cal Virginia.
I'll be using it in our deer season in a couple weeks to get first hand field experience.

071912LoadingBlock58calBrassPRBs.jpg

070512BRASSballsforMLTest.jpg

Thanks Roundball. I was hoping you'd find this thread.

I notice that those are about half the price of ITX, and potentially "re-usable" if recovered from the right medium. Food for thought.

Yes... .64 cents each, I recovered these from a cardboard box of rubber mulch I set up...not a mark on them...could essentially reuse them forever AND not have to melt them down to recast them to do so.
(Bags of rubber mulch came from Home Depot)

071212-1xBrassBallsPatches.jpg

I was going to link Roundballs brass ball range report but I see he already showed up to this thread.

I would give the brass ball a go.
I have wondered how well an iron ball would work.
Bet anything round and relatively rugged would do the job.

if i were in your shoes i would buy a 58 cal rifle and do as roundball did with the brass ball bearings.

I am afraid moving would probably not be an option just to hunt with lead. My wife might not quite understand that. :nono:

The brass and ITX non lead balls look good. I did not know those existed. I can see some testing with the ITX will be in order. I would like to get these to work then I could shoot small game and coyotes with them too.

Buying the 58 cal is not much of an option at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

Ok so I ordered the ITX .54 cal. The web site says they are .524. What thickness of patches would you recomend starting with?

Jay54 said:
Ok so I ordered the ITX .54 cal. The web site says they are .524. What thickness of patches would you recomend starting with?
Experience has shown that a tighter fitting patch gives better accuracy so I use patches requiring me to use a short starter to start them in.
Since I use .018"-.020" patches with a .530" ball in a .54cal, if I was going to use .524" balls, I'd want a thicker patch like a .022"-.024".

So if it was me, I'd first try a bag of Oxyoke .020" precut/prelubed as they actually measure .022" for me and they should get it done.

Oxyoke50-59calx020inPatches.jpg

You guys are going to get me divorced :slap: Now I just gotta get me a .58...gonna try the re-useable ball excuse to sell it to the Mrs. :rotf: can't hurt, she's heard all the others...

Latest posts

Back