• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need new leadpot, suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See rifleman1776 post #34. That pot was obviously left unattended

Yes, mea culpa. Unattended while it warmed up. I have 'fixed' the cause of the drip as well as possible and only dip from the pot now. No noticeable difference in working speed. For me, casting is a relaxing time waster with a new supply of balls as a bonus.

When I finish a session with my bottom pour I leave it about half full of lead. That "seals" the workings away from air (corrosion) and also keeps the dross up on top. Takes a little longer to warm up but doesn't leak.

I also leave the last ball in the mold so that doesn't risk rust.

Nothing bad to say about Lee, Lyman and RCBS pots. However the made in china electronic temp controllers seem sketchy to me. Last year I returned a RCBS easy melt for refund to brownells. Actual temp was 40-50 degrees lower than the readout. Was just wrong. I got a Lyman mag 25 after waiting and seeing if their newer production run solved their issues. Been using it for 3 years now. So far so good. The original RCBS pro melt has a stellar reputation. Wish I wasn't too cheap to buy one then. I'll be on the sidelines watching the Pro melt 2 and easy melt for now; see what kind of track record they establish.

If I could only have one pot, I'd get a Lee 20 pound magnum melter (not bottom pour), and a thermometer. I could render scrap lead into clean ingots, empty and clean the pot a bit and then ladle cast. Use any bottom pour pot with dirty scrap lead and you will have clogging, leaking spout issues, imho. Thermometer lets me know when the melt is at casting temp and helps me keep it there. I prefer ladle casting casting for minie ball, always using the pressure pour method. Just my imho. Nothing against other people's preferences or style.

OP probably got his new pot/furnace already. :)

Last edited:
I tore my pot apart and cleaned it. got a little wire brush on the dremmel tool into the pour hole and shined it up. works good now.

So correct me if I am off base,
In order to keep things working correctly you take care of your things per the manufacturer's instructions?
WOW - What a novel idea!!!
A little lesson many others here could certainly benefit from!

I got that pot in the mid 1980's at Elmendorf afb. they sold reloading supplies and I tried to buy them out! box and instructions are long gone, never thought of going on line for the manuals !

So correct me if I am off base,
In order to keep things working correctly you take care of your things per the manufacturer's instructions?
WOW - What a novel idea!!!
A little lesson many others here could certainly benefit from!
You can say that again...

Back