• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need info on lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If I build a ohio/Vincent percussion and have a large siler mortise in instead if the goucher lock would that look OK. Not worried about period correct just making me a half stock. Just don't want the lock looking out of the right asthmatics like it don't really fit the shape of the stock

You would have to totally reshape the lock panels and the surrounding areas to match the lock, personally I think it would look goofy. I am not sure about the orientation of the sear on the two locks, you may have to reposiyion the trigger. What have you got against using the Vincent style lock? Are you looking at Track of the Wolf kits? If so, the lock is a Davis lock which are excellent locks. All percussion locks have to do is pop a cap anyway, not as finicky as flint locks. Your gun, your choice.

I have this theory that 20 or 30 years ago, maybe longer, just about every precarve pattern was cut for a siler lock because it was the easiest or only qaulity lock to get ahold of back then. There are more options now so poeple worry about the style of lock more. This would sure explain why so many precarved stocks are cut for siler's even though they aren't technically historically correct. I have a buddy who has been building muzzleloaders for decades, he pretty much puts a Siler on every build regardless of style. I'm no expert builder so can't offer specific advice on how it would look. However if the mortise is already cut I'd probably go with it. I got a big heavy half stock 58 in the basement that's cut for a large Siler, and I'm not going to worry about it. I'm a shooter more than a historian.

Just read a couple posts about the Goucher lock having issues. The one said the lock broke the mainspring before the build was complete. I'm still hoping with the Goucher. I'm thinking maybe the builder played a roll in the spring failure.

What about the Siler mountain lock? Would be closer to the right look and proven Siler guts.
I used the Siler Mountain Lock on this Leman Trade Gun build. It's a great lock and should also look good on an Ohio/Vincent gun.

Attachments

• IMG_E2621.JPG
    IMG_E2621.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
The Davis Golcher or Squirrel lock looks most excellent on a Vincent rifle, and are of excellent quality.

Latest posts

Back