• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need info on ID, WY, UT, AZ, & CO

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been browsing these states' F&G websites, but I'm having trouble finding the info I'm looking for. I need to know if hunting with a matchlock is legal in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. Can anyone in these states help me out?

Idaho Regs are almost identical to Oregon...Open ignition,open (non-fiberoptic sights) and bullet length vs diamater limits.
I honestly dont know jack about matchlocks BUT I think it meets the "open ignition" reg and the rest is are an any-gun issue

Matchlocks aren't allowed in Oregon, even though it's an open ignition. That's why I need to find the specific definition of a muzzleloader for each of these states and what is and isn't allowed.

Wyoming rules are at least a 40 cal with at least 50 grs of blackpowder or equivelent. Thats it!! for elk and deer and moose bear and all. However, be aware that wyo does not have a muzzleloading season in almost all areas and you will have to hunt with the regular rifle hunters.

Othern

Thanks for the info. That's the same with Montana. They allow matchlocks (and wheellocks), but they don't have a muzzleloader season.

Colorado does not exclude them. Other than that, .50 cal for elk and moose. No sabots, optics, or pellet powder

From the 2009 Utah Big Game Guidebook: "Your ML must meet all of the following requirements: It can only be loaded from the muzzle; It must have open sights, peep sights or a fixed non-magnifying 1X scope; It can have only one barrel, and the barrel must be at least 18 inches long; It cannot be capable of firing more than once without being reloaded; The powder and bullet--or powder, sabot and bullet--cannot be bonded together as one unit for loading; It must be loaded with black powder or a black powder substitute. The black powder or black powder substitute cannot contain nitrocellulose-based smokeless powder. To hunt big game, you must use a lead or expanding bullet or projectile that's at least 40 caliber in size. If you're hunting deer or prongbhorn, your bullet--including your sabot--must be 170 grain or heavier in weight. If you're hunting elk, moose, bison, bighorn sheep or Rocky Mountain goats, you must use a 210 grain or heavier bullet, or a sabot bullet that's at least 240 grains."

Latest posts

Back