• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think I need a Percussion Mechanic !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm the new guy..Have collected for 50 years..mostly Parker..LC Smith..Fox.English doubles..Winchester and Remington .22s..Mauser military rifles....Ruger SA handguns, etc..A couple years ago I bought a .36 caliber..what was called a plains rifle. Lock marker William Read/Boston..a retailer I suspect. The gun was very nice..except the barrel finish..I got the Brownells item..and the barrel turned out very nice.. Then ..on GB I saw this double. Ball and Buck !...40 caliber/14 gauge..Rib marked B. Whitman..Maker..(Worked mid 1860s) The gun came with the info. listed in the Amoskeg sale of the David Squier collection. It says this exact gun is on page 1677 of The New York State Firearms Trade Volume #4 by Swinney and Rowe. (If anyone has this book I would sure appreciate a copy of the page..). The gun looks untouched. One hammer and screw is a replacement..One top tang screw is missing..One hammer locks..other does not hold cock..Both nipples are somewhat corroded. I was afraid to do any amateur 'smithing on them. Wood is very nice..and all the German silver is period engraved and very clear and sharp. Ramrod has engraved tip and ferrules. I'd like to get the hammer fixed and the replacement screw..and new/replacement nipples.. I don't have a clue where to find the best place to fix this gun..Any help is most appreciated..
Thanks..Jerry.....PS..I've been soaking nipples in PBBlaster for 3 days..in and out..I need an expert !..

Last edited:
For an origonal I recommend the Log Cabin in Lodi Ohio. The Kindigs have been working on origonals and reproductions since the 1930's.
Thank you for the help. I will contact them. I spent some time this AM doing a good cleaning of the barrels. Got both nipples clear..and found under the grime..that the barrels have a scroll and dot decoration in silver near the breech..

Back