• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Info on a Rifle??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbiggers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The very first muzzleloader i ever owned, i bought in 1996 and like a moron, i sold that rifle a few years later and wish to the heavens above i hadn't. The rifle was an Itailian made, "Sile" .50 cal Hawken. There were no other stamps on it anywhere. All it had on the barrel was .50 cal, "Sile" and that it was made in Italy and it was a snail type PC.. :confused:

It was the most accurate rifle i've ever owned.. :bow:

Funny story behind this rifle. My 14 year old nephew came over one afternoon while i was out shooting and as is famous with most teenagers, he started in with his little comments about how shooting muzzleloaders was stupid and that you can't hit anything at a long distance. So i say to him,"Micky, here's what i'am going to do". So i picked up an old metal sauce pan lid, about 8 or 10" in diameter, that had a black handle in the center, so I hung it on a tree. I said,"Micky, i'am going to pace off 100 yards, and i'am going to shoot the handle out of the center of this lid".He of course said i was crazy and could never do it. Needless to say, i paced off the 100 yards, turned and fired, "freehanded" and the... "PLINK"... told us i hit it, but we couldn't see through the smoke. So we walked back down to the tree and sure enough, there was a huge hole, dead center of the lid and the handle was no where to be found... :shocked2: He of course started hollaring, "That was luck, Do it again".I said, "Sorry Micky, i called my shot, and i made it, nuff said". :blah:

Anyway, can somebody please tell me anything at all about this rifle and can it be found today. I really wouldn't mind having another one, if possible.

Thank you,
Danny.. :hatsoff:

Check the on-line auctions--that's about the only place I can think of where you might find one.

Possibly an Invest Arms rifle, since Sile Arms were mostly Importers.Seems like I used an Invest Arms barrel on a Sile Hawkens years ago that somebody didn't seat the ball all the way down in the barrel. Good Luck.. PeashooterJoe..

Excellent story. Very nice that you showed the boy how it is done!

Regarding the Sile .50 Hawken; according to my information and memory they are probably made by Invest arms and are almost identical to the current Cabela's Hawken and others sold by various companies.

The Gun Digest, Black Powder Loading Manual, Revised and Expanded Edition by Sam Fadala has pictures of two Sile rifles which may match yours. Some libraries have the book in their collections.

One is listed and pictured as: Sile Hawken Hunter Carbine, .50 cal., 22" barrel. Picture shows no patch box and one barrel key. Basically looks like a Cabela's Hawken but without patch box and having a 22" barrel.

The other is: Sile Hawken (Double Key) Rifle, .45 cal. (this was as tested, other calibers were probably offered), 28 1/2" barrel. Picture shows same patch box and trigger guard as on Cabela's and other Invest arms Hawken rifles but with two barrel keys.

Pictures of both rifles are not good enough to see if they have the "engraving" on the percussion lock. I can not remember for sure if the Sile's had a plain lock. Maybe you remember or someone else will chime in.

From memory I think the current similar Invest arms Hawken rifles are better finished than the Sile's and may be higher quality. On the other hand there is nothing like having one exactly the same as the one that got away.

In addition to above suggestions on locating one; you might try a free wanted to buy add here in the MLF classifieds. Also, check gun shows if you have time.

Best of good luck!

Investarms made rifles for sile in the 70's and 80's and imported them from Italy. Google "sile hawken".

If you don't find the one that you are looking for, let me recommend an excellent production .50 cal, half stock rifle for your consideration. The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is an excellent production rifle and they are reasonably priced. I have one that is a .50 cal. flintlock and it is a tack driver.

OMG!! :shocked2: You guy's are better than the freaking "Encylopedia"... :bow: Jeeez, i love this place... :)

Thank you fellers... :thumbsup:
Danny.. :hatsoff:

Back