• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEED HORNS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaplain Dan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does any one know of a good supplier for raw horns for making Powder horns My sources here are very limited :confused: Walks with Eagles

October Country in the ML links . Raw African cattle horn was somthing like $3.00. F.K.

agree on October Country...also, see Leather Unlimited for some fair priced polished horns [url] www.leatherunltd.com[/url] I've been pretty happy dealing with them on leather and such as well..Hank

Last edited by a moderator:
i have got some good ones from leather unlimited also. you can also find good ones on ebay i got 2 black tip white body ones that were around 20 inches long each plus two grey and black ones that were around 10 for 19.00 they were on a wall plaque and the guy sawed them off for me to save on shipping. the leather unlimited ones had really thick tips with smallish cavities tho but they made for good carving
jason

Thank you friend it is much appreciated, I went to the slaughter house but they didn't have much..God Bless...Walks with Eagles

fisher king said:
October Country in the ML links . Raw African cattle horn was somthing like $3.00. F.K.

African cattle horns are always cheaper because they are usually not much good for making powder horns. They have a lot of problems with delamination/seperation of the layers of horn. A lot of times you can see the delaminations as a bubble in the horn. As you try to scrape or file the bubble out you find that it is like an iceberg and the surface bubble is just the 10% that you can see and the other 90% is below the surface of the horn.

Randy Hedden

Ya I agree I had a lamination in mine but you realy have to look to see it. I applied some bees wax to it to weather proff it and on that spot I melted it on no problems. I buffed it up after withan old sweet shirt, which gave it a nice satiny sheen to it.
the horns I found were nice and thick so I put a deep celtic braid releaf on it. My 2 cents F.K.

walks with eagles said:
Does any one know of a good supplier for raw horns for making Powder horns My sources here are very limited :confused: Walks with Eagles

Being in Cincy ... you need to take advantage of the NMLRA Spring and Fall shoots at Friendship, IN to resupply with horns! There's nothing like being able to hand pick what you want from the supply they have every shoot. That's where I get my white horns for scrimshaw. When I lived in Richmond, IN, I went every spring and fall and stocked up. Now I have to get a years supply, or more each time I go. There are a lot of good vendors there and a very good selection, as well as all of the accoutrements. There are a lot of good places on line, but you're close enough to a great supply to pick through and be choosy.

Ron

ricktwin said:
walks with eagles said:

Being in Cincy ... you need to take advantage of the NMLRA Spring and Fall shoots at Friendship, IN to resupply with horns! There's nothing like being able to hand pick what you want from the supply they have every shoot. That's where I get my white horns for scrimshaw. When I lived in Richmond, IN, I went every spring and fall and stocked up. Now I have to get a years supply, or more each time I go. There are a lot of good vendors there and a very good selection, as well as all of the accoutrements. There are a lot of good places on line, but you're close enough to a great supply to pick through and be choosy.

Ron
didn't think of that ThanksWWE

I have got a couple of decent ones off of Ebay. The last one was real nice color only problem was I bought it with the idea of doing schrimshaw on it. They are probably imported from Mexico, anyway they had done the outside with a grinder or a really rough rasp and there were deep marks in it. Some to deep to get out intirely. I emailed them about the problem and they said because of Mad Cow they have to clean all horns inside and out before they are allowed in the country. Sounds right, might have been bowing smoke, can't really say. Anyway said I could return if I wanted, but I kept it and got most of the scracthes out when I done final sanding. If you do Ebay check there comments and ratings. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back