• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help with Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdub82

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently received this musket after a family member passed away and unfortunately, I don't know anything about it. I've uploaded some pictures, but if there are others that would be helpful, please let me know. that would be helpful, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

musket1.jpg
musket2.jpg
musket3.jpg
musket4.jpg
musket5.jpg

musket1.jpg
musket2.jpg
musket3.jpg
musket4.jpg
musket5.jpg

Potsdam smoothbore conversion from flint. Thousands were imported by both sides during the Civil War. .72 caliber and they had a reputation of kicking like mule, universally disliked by the troops that received them. You'll find a lot of info out on the net about these. Yours is somewhat unusual as the rear sight and sling swivel are intact. We need full length photos to see if the front sight is still on the band, whether or not it has been cut down and if the sling swivel is still on the middle band.

Other than the ramrod which looks to be a wood replacement it it is nearly 100% correct. They were cheap and not very desirable so a lot were modified anywhere from removing the sights and swivels to cutting down into shotguns.

I have shot a Potsdam in competition in the N-SSA for many years and have won probably 100 medals shooting it. The recoil is stout as with many large bore smoothbores but manageable if you are not recoil sensitive. They are a very serviceable musket if you take the time to learn to shoot it.

Latest posts

Back