• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Guidance on Damaged Cherry Corners Lock Hammer on Older Contemporary Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wooden case with my mortimer in it via usps had tire tracks across it. has mostly stopped me from selling/shipping anything.
The situation is getting pretty ridiculous. Time to run insurance coverage up I suppose. I had a business shipment with UPS years ago. 45 pound crate insured for $30,000. They delivered an 10 pound empty crate with a big hole in the side. It took me 3 months to get paid.

Your lock looks real similar to what is on a Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti that I have. Not that they’re any easier to find parts for. If you can’t find a hammer, I’d get that welded up, shaped, then rehardened. It may work out just fine.
My first ever Hawken rifle I built in 1974 from Cherry Corners parts. Ithaca bought them, then several others since. The Uberti's Santa Fe (Kit Carson) Hawken is the same design and latest owner. Great Western sold them for a while. Check with VTI for parts. FWIW, my kit came with a hammer for 1 1/8 barrel. I cut it down and re-welded it and proceeded to launch lots of lead and win lots of matches with it. Still quite solid.

Brian, I got around to checking that dimension on the Uberti Santa Fe 179A7206-BE22-4853-BFB9-D8337A450DBE.jpeg0F463332-9B5C-47BA-BCD3-822C9737EB45.jpeg. It appears its quite a bit shorter. 1.6”

Brian, I got around to checking that dimension on the Uberti Santa FeView attachment 162663View attachment 162664. It appears its quite a bit shorter. 1.6”
Hi Poker. Thanks for taking the time to measure this, I really appreciate it! It does look to be about an 1/8 inch shorter throw than my lock. I'm going to try a TOW hammer that appears to be clocked the same and is close to the right throw. If that fails, I may just need to weld it up and hope for the best.

I believe I would heat it up and bend it back straight very carefully. Then Braze it back solid. Grind smooth and refinish. I read somewhere that Bud Brown built some muzzleloaders, but was primarily a gunsmith. B.C.B may be his stamp.

I was able to pick up my Sante Fe Hawken last summer on the way back from NC. Shortly before that, I had a gun I sold and packed well, destroyed in transit as well as one delivered with a crack in the stock. I'm not very trusting of shippers anymore.

Here is what I send out to folks sending me a gun:

The following instructions are due to receiving damaged goods* from another member for which I had to file a claim. The gun looked brand new (except for the damage) so the collectible value was ruined. They were a Gun Shop so you’d have expected it to be packaged better. I’ve also received others that were shipped similarly but surprisingly those arrived safely.

Please wrap the item in bubble wrap if you have it or at least several layers of newspaper, brown paper, etc. Double wrap or reinforce the lock area (including the hammer/cock) please.

Make sure the box is big enough so the item does not touch the sides. Please fill the empty cavity and ends with newspaper, paper shredder waste, etc. so that it can’t rattle and break through the box. I really hate packing popcorn but if that’s all you have then go ahead and use it.

Lastly, please insure the item for the payment including shipping, or (whatever the total is). That way if it’s destroyed in transit, I can recoup ALL my funds.

Acknowledgment of receipt of this email would be greatly appreciated.

* The gun referenced was a pristine unfired T/C 54 cal Renegade that had been spiral wrapped in brown paper and left to rattle around in the box all the way to my home. IT WAS SOLD AND SHIPPED BY A GUN SHOP! You'd think they'd have known better. The toe broke through the box and cracked. I obtained a repair estimate from my local gun shop for $75. I fixed the stock myself and relisted the item for $75 less than I paid as that's what the Post Office paid me for the damage.

Walt
I also had a nightmare ordeal from a shipping gun shop in DC. A mint unfired 1963 German .300 Weatherby....put in in a cardboard box, with a wrap of shipping paper!!! broke the stock at the wrist. it was shipped USPS, over night.....took two weeks to show up. I now demand a Plano case that I will pay for.

Back