• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have my powder flask and dippers for shot and powder. I can't figure out the best way to carry my shot. This is for my squirrel hunting with my Fusil 20 ga. The barrel will be mailed probably tomorrow to Danny Caywood for full jug choke. Any good suggestions for carrying shot? Maybe just a pouch on my belt????

I have double pouches/spouts (**** snake pr abobe terminalogy) but rarely hunt enough to use them (a good CVA and it works well). I mostly figure I will shoot 10-12 shots an outing and premeasure powder and shot into film canisters etc. Then a pill bottle of each and a small measure in case the shootings good. This is the best way. Other will give lessor opinions and Ideas but I didnt think of them so mines the best.

I am rebelling this week about my lifetime probation handed down by SWMBO and just practising above. Gonna send off a sherrif .36 for Goonerization soon. I hope to hear of better ways, I require a fanny pack to tote my stuff around.

Dixie has plastic tubes they are what I use and work great Also the quick charge tubes for rifles with 1 compartment for powder and one for bullets will work

7F40E603-85B7-4635-8F92-74D8895A2952.jpeg

24FC71AD-D921-4EF3-AEF4-426BCBE71FF2.jpeg

Picture shows a roundball , but now it holds shot..👍

I have a few old Dixon flasks that have served me well over the years, they are reaching their max lifespan though and I have to watch the leather carefully and keep it in good condition.
Considering that most of my shotgun shooting is done with original guns, it seems fitting to use flasks of the same age.

I have my powder flask and dippers for shot and powder. I can't figure out the best way to carry my shot. This is for my squirrel hunting with my Fusil 20 ga. The barrel will be mailed probably tomorrow to Danny Caywood for full jug choke. Any good suggestions for carrying shot? Maybe just a pouch on my belt????

Crow,
Bite the bullet and purchase one of these snouts. This scoop has variable shot charges. Make your own bag, like I did. The strap I have is long and you can hook it or loop it around your belt. When you want that hurried second shot, this is the only way to go in my opinion. Whatever ya do, it has to be handy and at the ready.

Larry

IMG_5560.jpeg

.Its all a matter of taste But I finding the long bag affair & its tendancy the swing about is better served by a Y shaped bag worn on a leather strap which sits handy under the arm pit . the repro tops are fine but the bag they come with is useless .
Rudyards view

I got my barrel boxed up. Mailing tomorrow to Caywood. I'm looking forward to shooting and hunting with my Fusil tan my other guns. But they will get some tie in the squirrel woods too.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. For slow walking thru the squirrel woods, I really like a shot snake with the English style head that is adjustable for 1 1/4 or 1 1/2oz the original one I have is about 12" long and did swing when you bend over. I had a friend make me one very similar to the turtle pic above that is about 2 1/2" x 6" and I just install the head from my original snake. This is perfect for # 5 shot and holds enough for my daily limited with my 12ga. SxS.. If I'm going to use smaller shot say 7 1/2's they will slip thru the English spout, so I have a CVA snake with the Irish head like picture above in post #9 (Larry Omaha) That is perfect for say high volume dove shooting and it adjust for 1oz / 1 1/8 /1 1/4... I Measure powder with a 28ga shotgun hull that I trimmed the height to match charge I want to use. I find the 28ga is wide enough to pour powder from flask like picture above in post # 12(FeltWad) and small enough to pour in barrels of my 12ga SxS. Shot on strap under arm, Powder flask in pants hip pocket, Caps, over powder cards, overshot cards in front pants pocket. (I use same cards 2 on powder 1 on shot. No bags or other pouches (K.I.S.S.) Trans Yank

Unless you are headed to the range, or dove shooting, you are unlikely to need as many as a dozen shots. I like shot measured into pill bottles, cards in my pocket, and a powder flask. Have been messing about with an antique shot flask but so far not getting it to work to my satisfaction.

Shot in the pill bottles ain't real noisy 'less I start jumping up and down. 76 Years old so do not do much jumping up and down. Mostly I hunt birds, and I won't do it any more without a dog, or dogs. Some noise is essential. At one point it anchors the birds where they are. The next step is that it puts them flying. Admittedly when going for birds I want a few more pill bottles. Running out of ammunition would be a disappointment and puzzle for the dogs.

Back